9mm guy starting to consider .45 ACP for reasons OTHER than effectiveness or pride

spitfiremac

I want everyone to weigh in... I've been carrying 9mm for a while... my first gun was a .45 ACP in 2006, but I switched a combo of that and 9 or just 9 pretty soon after.

Recently I got my first .45 in a while... since the Shield 45 came out (which I sold sometime later.) This was a store demo (not range rented) XDm45 4.5". I got it wholly because it was to be a stock beater for travel and the trail that could handle infrequent amounts of 45 Super hard cast in bear country (the other stock pistol with this capability is the USP.)

My other pistol was a CZ P-10F with all the trimmings. Other than the thickness of the XDm's grip, these two pistols have exactly the same dimensions. I'm keeping this about big pistols because I like and can conceal them. The CZ had to go in for a warranty repair, and as I've been relying on my backup it's grown on me. I think I'm starting to Benjamin Button caliber preferences from the overwhelming favorite (and generally right modern answer) to the obsolete, Fudd's favorite.

REASONS .45 COULD ACTUALLY BE A GOOD CHOICE
1. 45 Super, is a modern loading and design for a cartridge of that size and seems to redeem the caliber for me. I've seen the velocity specs for hot variations out of a 4.5" barrel on Ballistics By The Inch surpassing 750 ft/lbs, well above 10mm, above most .41 Mags, and on the higher end of average in the .44 Mag field of tested cartridges. Would I carry 45 Super if not expecting large animals or predators? No. So it's use would be with hard cast lead bullets used for such endeavors. Such bullets get their penetration from retaining their shape and momentum, so no expansion or tumbling should be expected and in such a case I want the biggest non-expanded hole reasonable. This represents a quite staggering versatility in power band and application for 45 Super-capable pistols, what can go from mild .45 ACP to one of the larger Magnums in terms of ft/lbs in the same gun.

2. Availability and ease of reload. .45 ACP is the second most available cartridge in the country, and it's the easiest to reload and experiment with. It's also best to have something to run both calibers likely to be found so that you can make use of what you find.

3. Modern defensive JHP, such as HST and Ranger T-Series penetrates on par with the same premium stuff in 9mm, and expands to 1" in some cases, double the size and AN ENTIRE INCH WIDE.

4. FMJ is viable in a pinch. Survival in a WROL is not something I consider worthy of losing sleep over, but it's interesting to think about and in such cases you'd scrounge what you could. 9mm meets most marks here better: lighter, more capacity, faster firing, more controllable, etc. But if scavenging uncovered only staple FMJ 9mm and 45 ACP, I'd be happier to have the 45 ACP pistol than the 9mm one. It will deliver more energy in the form of ft/lbs to the target, transfer more of that energy into the target, and will most likely make a bigger hole in the target then 9mm FMJ. According to Paul Harrell's penetration meat target, plain WWB FMJ did quite well on its own. It doesn't deserve it's own point, but .45 ACP rat and snake shot cartridge is also the only viable caliber for use when compared to the 9mm.

REASONS .45 ISN'T SO BAD
5. Capacity isn't the panacea it's made out to be... I like capacity. Who doesn't? The P-10F holds between 19+1 to 21+1 rds standard. That being said, the more rounds you have the more marginal incremental value of each round following. The XDm holds 13+1 rounds of .45, which is 6 less than the CZ, but not much less than you should need in any given situation. When I carried the shield I'd have 14 rounds on tap also with a reload in between. As far as true single stack guns go (not 1-1/2 stack pistols like the P365), I still think the Shield 45 is probably the finest, though I got rid of mine when I got rid of all me 45 because I'm a 9mm guy.

6. Controllability of .45 for a large polymer gun like the XDm is pretty good as it is. Nothing is as pretty much perfect as the P-10F, but the XDm45 isn't bad at all. On top of that, I picked up the DPMS recoil mitigation guide rod and spring system that makes it feel like slightly hot 9mm. I've often, throughout my past, preferred the slower straight push back to the pop and twist sensation of early 9mm's. I don't feel that way now, as I'm a better shooter now and appreciate how fast and accurate 9mm makes me perform, but, I did start out liking it a little better.

So what do you think?

Last edited:

jmr40

Nothing at all wrong with either 45ACP or 9mm. I tend to carry and trust 9mm pistols for SD simply because the guns chambered in 9mm are smaller, more compact, hold more ammo in the same size gun, recoil less, and I can practice with them for about 1/2 the ammo costs of 45. I've not seen anything that convinces me that 45 is any more, or less effective than 9mm.

But I also have pistols in 380, 10mm and 45 ACP as well as 357 and 44 mag revolvers. I keep a 45 caliber G21 with a weapons mounted light on it as my bedside gun. Not because I trust 45 any more than I do 9mm, but because I simply like the gun, shoot it well and that is a good role for it to fill. It's a big gun, especially with the light mounted on it. Bigger than I prefer to carry normally, but the size isn't a handicap for the role it fills.

I also have a few 1911 pistols. To me everyone needs a 1911 and that is the best excuse to own a 45. They wouldn't be the 1st handgun I'd reach for in an emergency, but I wouldn't be without one for nostalgic reasons.

1. 45 Super, is a modern loading and design for a cartridge of that size and seems to redeem the caliber for me. I've seen the velocity specs for hot variations out of a 4.5" barrel on Ballistics By The Inch surpassing 750 ft/lbs, well above 10mm, above most .41 Mags, and on the higher end of average in the .44 Mag

The better heavy for caliber loads using hardcast bullets make 9mm, 40, 10mm, and 45 caliber handguns a viable option for large predator protection. You can be very effective with these loads from a standard 45 cartridge. You don't need to go to 45 Super.

But there are 10mm load options shooting 200 gr bullets @1300 fps that will match 750 ft lbs energy and considerably out penetrate the 45 or 45 Super loads. Energy never killed anything, shot placement and penetration are the key. If I had to stop a large predator attack, and had to do it with a handgun I'd choose 15 rounds of heavy hardcast 10mm loads from my G20 over any other handgun I own. Including the 44 mags.

In fact 147 gr hardcast 9mm loads gave the deepest penetration at over 60" of any loads tested. The 10mm has successfully taken game as large as cape buffalo. 10mm and 9mm and 45 ACP using heavy for caliber hardcast loads have been been used to stop large brown bear attacks in Alaska. But if choosing a gun for this role I'd choose 10mm over 45 or 45 Super every time.

I can do everything I need to do with a 9mm and 10mm pistol. But the 1911's are the primary reason I stock 45 ammo in my house.

shafter

Nothing at all wrong with either 45ACP or 9mm. I tend to carry and trust 9mm pistols for SD simply because the guns chambered in 9mm are smaller, more compact, hold more ammo in the same size gun, recoil less, and I can practice with them for about 1/2 the ammo costs of 45. I've not seen anything that convinces me that 45 is any more, or less effective than 9mm.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter too.

Ben Dover

I carry a 9MM. but I shot .45s in Bullseye competition for many years.

I enjoy both. I carry the 9MM for weight, capacity and cost of practice ammo.

There is no difference in effectiveness.

kenny53

I have read the comments and all I can say is "Yes". I carry both 9mm and 45 acp. Carry 9mm more often because that's what I do. I have more fancy plastic tipped hollow point SD bullets for my 9mm then I do for my 45's. In my 1911 I am comfortable carrying 230gr FMJ. My 9mm I have 115 gr +p+ hollow point. Don't know why I bought those but I did. They shoot fine and my guns have not blown up in my hand yet. So if I was you I would buy the 45 because you want to. I don't think you will be sorry

RGRacing

Summer - Pico 380 IWB
Fun Carry - LCR 357 -= Fobus Paddle OWB
Winter - Sig Ultra 45acp Wright Predator

Looking for a 9mm carry to fall into my lap.

Love them all -

seeker_two

.45ACP guns are fun to shoot....especially in service-size guns. That's all the reason I need....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don't mind either of them.

I prefer 9mm mainly for it's shoot-ability and capacity. I want hits and I want them fast. I can achieve hits at a rapid cadence with both calibers, but due to the 9mms more mild recoil, the groups are much tighter with it.

Factoring in a potential multiple threat scenario that we see all too often, missed shots, non-vital hits that miss the upper CNS, barriers that may get in the way, etc. I want more rounds on tap before I have to change magazines.

T. O'Heir

The .45 Super is a buck a shot at Midway and is not the ACP. Super brass is not readily available either. Only comes from Starline.
Shooting handguns is primarily about the fit of the firearm to your hand and shot placement. What brand you do that with isn't really important.
"...not expecting large animals or predators?..." The only types of those you need be concerned about have just 2 legs. Mind you, no handgun cartridge will give you a 100% guarantee one shot stop on them either.
"...Fudd's..." That is a derogatory term.

pblanc

My first shot accuracy with the four pistols I have chambered in .45 ACP is consistently better than that with any of the seven 9 mm pistols I own. I don't have a ready explanation for that, but it has been a consistent observation.

Standard pressure .45 ACP loads have significantly greater projectile momentum, regardless of projectile mass, than even +P 147 grain 9 mm Para loads. I regard projectile momentum to be a significant factor when it comes to terminal ballistic performance. Projectile momentum is what tends to keep the bullet proceeding on-course when it encounters barriers or tissues of greater density that want to deflect it. Unfortunately, this advantage is not demonstrated in ballistic gelatin testing since the gelatin is uniform in structure and density.

Last edited:

dgludwig

FMJ is viable in a pinch. Survival in a WROL is not something I consider worthy of losing sleep over,

What is WROL? I like FMJ for a few reasons: It's relatively cheap; it offers good penetration (if you need it) and its bullet shape feeds more reliably than some other configurations in some pistols.

cslinger

Without Rule Of Law.

Yer basic SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, BOOGALOO 2 or whatever else it’s called these days. :p

I personally call it.....ROOB. Running out of bourbon. Hey you got your apocalyptic events, I got mine. :)

dgludwig

Oh, I get it now. Mad Max! Regarding "ROOB", my spin is ROOOC and ROOPBR (Old Crow and Pabst Blue Ribbon, respectively).

Radny97

I’ve found myself feeling the same as the OP. 45 Super is an important factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaranger

conceal-ability

My 9mm pistols (Glocks 17/34) are a wee bit smaller than my larger caliber 10mm and .45 pistols and a tad lighter as well. When wardrobe and climate require it, I carry the 9mm and do not feel particularly undergunned.

As things cool and a cover garment becomes viable, I bump up to the 20/21 and do not miss the slightly higher capacity that the 9mm offers. I don't really do caliber wars anymore, unless we get on the mouse gun side of things. Important thing is to be vigilant, armed and work on your skills.

The .45 Super is a whole new kettle of fish for me, I've not seen a box for sale in retail stores ever, am am going to have to Google a bit to see what I can learn, .45 +P is about all know on the up side of .45 autos.

gbclarkson

9mm guy starting to consider .45 ACP for reasons OTHER than effectiveness or pride

I am a 9mm guy that has also been window shopping for a .45 auto for quite some time. I don't need one. 9mm is cheaper; 9mm is just as effective for home defense and concealed carry as .45, etc. etc. Here is my justification that is pushing my search: my middle-aged eyes will more easily discern .45 holes at the range than 9mm holes. (I don't need a good reason, right?)

My other pistol was a CZ P-10F with all the trimmings. Other than the thickness of the XDm's grip, these two pistols have exactly the same dimensions.

Off the topic... My primary pistol is an XDM in 9mm. I really like this pistol but I wish the grip were just slightly smaller. Is the P-10F's grip smaller than the XDM's?