9mm G23?

bushidomosquito

Anyone changed to the 9mil barrel/extractor in their .40 Glock? Does it work just as well as a G19? I have a 23 and planned on replacing the stock barrel with a Barsto from the day I bought it but if I'm buying a barrel that can shoot lead, I'm thinking the bulk lead 9mm is the way to go. If I'm going to have two barrels, I might as well have a use for both if them.

snail

I wish I could quote the exact reason why, but you shouldn't use a 9mm barrel in aby other caliber. You can use a .357 SIG but not 9mm. I have seen it on a website for ordering barrels, and I have heard it from numerous people. I hope someone else chimes in on this, but if they don't research it to be sure.

Boris Bush

Glock came out with a G31 and 32 and made the steel part of the frame longer and stronger than the 40 S&W guns. They do NOT recomend an aftermarket (357 Sig) barrel in the 40 cal guns. It will wear it out quicker.

snail

That is odd. The .357SIG isn't a more powerful powder charge than a .40, and the case is the same size. The differance comes from the 9mm bullet being propelled by a .40 charge. I have never heard of a problem with swapping a 357 into a .40, but there is alot of stuff I don't know about:p. Maybe someone else can chime in here?:(

Alleykat

Nowhere like the internet to get bad information. All Glock small-framed models have been exactly the same, for several years now. It's perfectly o.k. to use a .357 Sig barrel in a .40 of the correct slide size.

However, you'll need a 9mm conversion barrel to shoot 9mm through your G23. Generally, folks don't change the extractors and/or ejectors, they just go with the conversion barrel and the appropriate 9mm mags.

Richard

Snail, is this from personal experience? Why do I ask? My Glock 23 and Glock 27 work perfectly with 9mm conversion barrels. Yes, I use 9mm magazines but other than that I haven't noticed anything. Should I be on the look out for something? Regards, Richard:D

PS both also work perfectly with 357 Sig conversion barrels

kristop64089

Bushidomosiquito I feel your pain

I just picked up a "new" G32 with LWD conversion barrel, from a Glock Armorer.

What you need to do to convert your gun is this(to reduce premature wear)
- Replace barrel w/conversion barrel
- Replace extractor with 9mm extractor(for smaller case size)\
- Replace EJECTOR with 9mm ejector.
- Use G19/26/17 mags
I just detail stripped my G32 to see how qucikly this could be done. It takes less than 5 minutes.

I figured if it took any longer I would just buy a G19.

This is whats recommended by the armorer, and i have the Ptooma guide, and IIRC they recommend this as well.

eagles1181

My understanding is that the frame is the same for the G23 and G32 on the third gen guns (w/ the finger groves). When I looked at putting a G32 barrel in my second gen G23 I was told that it was not the best idea. They did beef up the grips for the G32, but they also started using the beefed up grips for everything.

Other easy option for converting a G32/23 to aG 19 is to just trade out the upper and the mags.

Eagle