9mm for rifle

Voyager AL

I have been reloading for my pistol, for about 3 years now. All loads are accurate for up to 25 yards, all I need for a pistol. I recently bought a Hi-point 9mm carbine. I cant put 5 bullets on paper. 3 low, so i adjust the scope. then 3 high, off the paper. All told, i put 300 downrange today, with POOR results. i then loaded 10 factory loaded JHP, and put 10 in a 2 inch group. So, its my reloads that are at fault. They dont sound as powerful as the JHP. I am loading 125gr RN Lead, with 3.4g of Red Dot. Any suggestions? Possibly raise the power charge to 3.8, or more??

crowbeaner

I would try some Unique powder as Red Dot is one of the fastest canister propellants on the market, and the longer rifle barrel may not like your choice of powder. All guns are a law unto themselves, and each has their ammo likes and dislikes. Perhaps your barrel would like harder lead alloys, or it may only shoot jacketed bullets well. Thus is the beauty of handloading born. I'd try some RP 115 jhp's and 5.5 of Unique to start, and up it to 5.7 if all looks well. You may want to try the Lyman 356402 cast bullet also. Hope thos helps. Enjoy. CB.

Voyager AL

I researched Alliant's website, again. I now see they upped the load from 3.4 to 4.5 for Reddot. I couldnt get that amount to drop thru my Lee loader, so i switched to American Select, at 4.7 gr. That drops fine. I loaded 30, and will fire them tomorrow night. Thanks!

Crosshair

Blue Dot + 115 grain FMJ bullet works great in my 995. I load mine hot and get great velocity.

What kind of scope are you using? The Hi-Point scope mount system isn't the best and does not do well with large heavy scopes. a Red-Dot or compact scope would be your best options. I had poor luck with a regular 3x9x40 and when I switched to a holographic sight my groups improved quite a bit.

Voyager AL

I HAD a RedDot BSA on it,then changed to a 4power scope. Pretty light. Like I said, accurate with JHP factory loads, so i dont think its moving. Last nite i fired 10 of my new loads, and didnt ever hit the 8" target. It was getting dark, and I forgot to bring a big piece of cardboard to back the target. It may be as simple as adjusting this scope to this bullet. It definately sounded like they were snapping faster than with reddot powder.

Voyager AL

well, I finally got it straightened out. i am now loading JHP, and its acurate. The lead was the problem. It was a poor casting, with the parting line still visible. The JHP solved all the problems. thanks for all the replys

I'm interested in specifics such as powder charge, primers, etc and resultant velocity myself. I have the Marlin Camp in 9 mm also and wish to load some hot (+P) for it. I have the heavy spring to install. thanks for info. M45

jsflagstad

That camp 9 is a cool gun. I always wanted one. I had to settle for the Hi Point which I have grown very fond of. I am not sure how hot of a load the Camp 9 can take, but I know the Hi Point likes it hot. Work up slow and safe.