9mm Dilemma

socom58

I have a dilemma. After being pretty sure i wanted a CZ 75, I handled a few of them. About the only thing I like is the grip. So... I am looking at other options in the lower price range. I can pick up either a Taurus PT99 for about $375 or a Springfield XD Tactical for a little under $500 locally. Unfortunately, all the FFL's in my area want like $90-100 for online purchase transfers! :mad: Otherwise, I'd probably get a CPO Sig 226 from Ordnance Outsellers.

So, my question is: Should I go with the Taurus, the XD Tac, or just spend the extra $2-300 and get a new Sig or HK (even though I really don't want to spend that much)?

Erich

Well, there's that thought that if you buy a premium product, you'll only need to buy once. . . .

Honestly, though, who here can answer this for you? It depends on your take on the guns in question, and your finances.

I personally have no interest in a Croatian XD or a Brasilian PT99. I've shot them both, though, and they both work. Myself, I'd get the SIG-Sauer (I like their triggers, and they are accurate).

But my preferences and opinions are pretty much meaningless.

What do you want to do?

socom58

I guess my question lies with quality. I know a Sig or an HK are perceived to be higher quality (and probably are), but are they worth the extra money?

Thank you for the FFL finder link Handy! I'll check that out. :)

Hammerhead

I've owned just about every major brand of 9mm.
I keep coming to the same conclusion. Sig's and H&K's are worth it.
Glocks are an acceptable third choice for me.
I ended up with a Sig P226ST .40, an H&K USP 9mm, and a Glock 17L 9mm.
Each one is worth the extra money and I won't have to trade them in when I get dissatisfied.
That is the false economy of inexpensive pistols.
p.s. Ask your FFL if he can find you a CPO Sig. These guys need to make a buck. Please support your local FFL dealer.

choochboost

Socom, I don't know where you live but if you're anywhere near OC, I know a place that charges $60. That's still high compared to other cities and states, but it's the cheapest i could find around here.

PeterGunn

Based soley on your list, I would recommend the XD Tactical.

Beyond that, you might want to move to another, more gun friendly state.

Blessings,

gtomax

Based on your list, get the SIG. It's brilliant.

Where in California are you? If around the bay area I can recommend a good FFL. Nice as can be, charges $65 total including DROS. And if you buy from out of state I don't think you have to pay sales tax. Ends up being about even.

socom58

I live in Roseville, CA (major suburb of Sacramento).

Beyond that, you might want to move to another, more gun friendly state.

Yes, I have considered moving to another state, however, it is not feasible at the moment as I am still in school. :(

Juna

Man, I'm glad I don't live in CA. My FFL transfer fee was $15. :D

But try looking at gunbroker and auctionarms for FFL searches by ZIP. Also, just do a google or yahoo search for FFLs in your area. The guy I found had another job and did FFL Xfers on the side.

dakotashooter2

I'm curious. Did to check to see what that FFL could order one for? he may be hosing people on the transfer fee in order to get people to buy from him. maybe it is cheaper to buy from him than pay the transfer.

Mosin44az

I would look closely at the XD before going up in price. Its grip is very comfortable, even though it is polymer, and the grip kind of mimics the Hi-Power/CZ- style grip that many find so wonderful. The quality seems comparable to Glock, which is also a brand you should look at if you are looking at the XD.

The Taurus PT 92 has tested well (Gun Tests) and actually beat its "parent" Beretta in a comparison test a couple of years back. PT99 should be similar.
Big difference in gun size, trigger reach and type of trigger between the Taurus and XD. You should be able to make a choice there.

If you like the grip feel and trigger reach and pull, the Ruger P95 at around $350 new is one of the very best values in handguns. Extremely durable and very reliable. Not as "fine" feeling as the XD or the fancier brands, but it will win you over with rock-solid performance IMO.

Both XD and Taurus have lifetime warranties which should ease your mind somewhat as well.

I had an HK that looked really cool, and seemed well-made, but broke its firing pin. Never had that happen on my Ruger or Glocks.

Erich

bubbaturbo, that wasn't my whole answer. Perhaps you might consider reading my entire answer, and that might explain to you what it was I was getting at.

Edited: bubbaturbo, PM inbound.

springmom

the Springfield

Sigs are terrific. But the XD is too, and it is a LOT less expensive. I love my XD-40, and want one of the new 45's.

Springmom

gharsh

I'm going to vote for the XD, however, I've had good experience with the Taurus as well. CDNN usually has cheap magazines for the Taurus. XD magazines can be a little pricey, at leat they used to; haven't checked in some time.

Completely different feels on those two choices. I like the XD because of the grip and length of trigger pull. I do not like glock grips at all. I'm usually a 1911 shooter and the XD feels very familiar. The Taurus seemed very large in my hands. One really nice feature with the Taurus is the cocked and locked feature with their safety. Although, watch out for the newer PT92/99s. They have a light rail on the front dust cover and will not fit holsters made for Berettas. I ended up getting a leather holster that worked, but a Fobus holster I had would not.

BerettaBuckeye

No love for the Beretta 92? And $110, $90 or even $60 is CRAZY for a transfer! My local guy charges $10 and the next closest guy charges $15. If you call him before bidding on a gun online he'll even try to locate you the same thing cheaper through his sources. Oh yeah, and if you're looking for an inexpensive 9mm that PT99 is hard to beat for the price

Pointer

Ask Ordinance Outsellers for a solution to your shipping dilemma... :)

Unfortunately, you will still have a dilemma...

9mm :eek: :D

Gib

If you go to gunsamerica.com and find a gun you like, you type in your area code and they will give you a list of ffl dealers in your area. I live in Southern California and the fees are $15-$40 depending who you use. You will still have to pay the $25 fee to the state though.