9mm Destroyer Carbine?

FALPhil

I have an opportunity to purchase a VG-Exc 9mm Destroyer Carbine. I have always been fascinated by this little bolt action.

The asking price is $300. Too much?

Now, I want to ask a question, and I don't need any lectures! I know that the 9mm Largo has an operating pressure of around 34K PSI. I also know that Winchester loaded the factory 9x23 at 40K PSI. And, I know that the max pressure for 9x23 is designed to operate at 48K PSI. My question is this and I would like experience or reasoned opinions: do you think that 9x23 could be used in a Destroyer safely without damaging the carbine? What is the metallurgy like?

I am thinking about the design of the action and bolt, and it seems to me that bolt thrust may set back the lug with max load 9x23. However, I also wonder if I can download 9x23 and still have it function in my Witness pistol. It would be cool to have a carbine and an autopistol in the same cartridge.

hodaka

There are a number of autopistols chambered in Largo. I would not trust one of those old carbines with hot ammo. It may work fine, but if it didn't...........

Terry A

Yes, always better safe than sorry. But, if you feel comfortable keeping track of what you feed her, and if you've always liked that particular model, than pick it up.
From your question, I kind of think that if you pass this up, you'll regret it...

candr44

I have a Destroyer Carbine and I wouldn't trust the bolt with 9x23 ammo. If you can reload you can get new Largo brass from Starline. Some of these rifles have also been known to have barrels only hand tight.

These are great guns to shoot and they have a fast action. mine is very accurate even at 100 yards and they have a good rear sight for long distances. Its hard to miss your target with one of these rifles.

I payed $250 for mine and I think it was worth the price. $300 seems a little high but after shooting one I would pay that much for it if its in excellent condition.

Last edited:

FALPhil

Thanks for the replies. Since the original post, I did a little more research and found that there are a couple distinct models of the Destroyer, even with different bolts. I think I would probably stick with Largo ammo. Still, the Largo at 1500 fps with a 125 grain hollow point has got to be a great pest control option.

rc

$300 Wow

I paid $95 or so for mine. It's not mint but a fun rugged little carbine and great lead bullet shooter. I would keep things to .38 super levels or lower. I think the lugs will stretch on the bolt and possibly break if you push 9X23 level pressures. I fired some extra hot loads and things bound up a bit. You can sleave the front of the chamber and use 9mm luger ammo in these, but shorter 9mm luger rounds won't cycle well from the magazines sometimes. 9X23 starline brass, 9x23 dies and any 9mm component bullets loaded with 38 super data or 9mm luger data will work great. 115 grain bullets at about 1500fps with blue dot is about as hot as you can go. 1100-1250fps with 147 grain bullets is about max in my opinion. 125 LRN in front of W231 at .22 LR velocities gives you a powerful short range plinker. You can open up the bolt face to accept 38 super brass, but doing so is not good. You will find 38 super rims will catch and not feed well from the 6 shot destroyer magazine and likely you will develop extraction issues. 4-6 inch groups at 100 yards are possible with 9mm loads. 1-2" groups at 25 yards are easy. You should also know that small rifle primers may be needed as these firing pins can punch through a small pistol primer. While these are fun guns, if you are going to spend $300 on a relic, I would suggest getting a marlin .357 magnum. Overall, the marlin is more useful and with .38 specials and .357 mags you can flex your power so to speak and pick up ammo anywhere. If you are simply wanting something different, these are neat little guns but you will have to craft your own ammo. rc

xxlegion

Destroyer Carbine Ammo

9x23 Win. is TOO HOT - do not use. You can obtain new brass and load it down - but DO NOT USE 9x23 Winchester!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a copy of the original handbook for the carbine, printed in 1938, and it clearly shows "Bore 38 A.C.P. or 9mm length (Bergmann)".

Also, in a red printed and bordered box, inside the front cover is, "THE 38 A.C.P. or 9mm DESTROYER MAGAZINE RIFLE".

There are several paragraphs in the handbook that contain, in the first sentence, the term "38 A.C.P. or 9mm Destroyer"

"Ballistic Data" shows "initial speed mts. per second ...410.0", and "Pressure in breech per square cm ...2,295.8 kgs"