9mm clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmen

newbie here, I posted to the 1911 citadel older post. My issue, if someone can help, is I cannot find extra clips for this in 9mm. Just chatted with on line help at Brownells, no luck. They suggested ammoclips.com. But if you go there that domain name is up for sale if anyone is interested. Any suggestions? Thanks.

marine6680

You said "clips"...

This won't end well. :eek:

Does the Citadel not use standard 1911 mags? I know its 9mm, but is it not the same as other 9mm 1911s?

xmen

sorry magazines, i stand corrected.

Thanks, I just looked there and it appears they do have factory magazines. I have not shot mine yet, tomorrow, but I have read posts that the factory ones are not the best. But the Chip McCormics or Wilsons do not appear to be available for this. Thanks again for the reply.

xmen

Marine6680, the problem I have found no one has any 9mm magazines. The shop I bought from has 600 pistols and 500 long guns on display, tons of everything else but no extra magazines or grips for it.

Xfire68

Any standard 1911 9mm mag should work. There are tons online to be found. Which ones will work best in your gun?

UncleEd

Midway currently shows IN STOCK Metalform, Wilson, Springfield, Kimber 9 mm 9-round mags for GM models.

Virtually ALL 9mm 1911 magazines are made by either Metalform or Check-Mate Industries ... no matter whose name is on the package. Both companies are OEM suppliers of magazines to Colt.

You should be able to buy 9mm magazines directly from Check-Mate. Why pay more to get the same magazine with somebody else's name on the shrink wrap?

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20

g.willikers said:
Maybe .38 super mags will work.
There's plenty of them around.
.38 Super magazines might work, but they probably won't work well or reliably. The 9mm cartridge is shorter, and 9mm magazines have a spacer running up the inside rear of the mag tube to hold the rounds forward for feeding. .38 Super magazines don't have that spacer.

dgludwig

Have you tried CDNN or Cheaper Than Dirt? These two companies generally keep a lot of magazines in inventory.
And welcome to The Firing Line, xmen.

xmen

xmen again

Just typed a long one and it vanished. I got the pistol out today and it worked flawlessly. The horror stories I have herd about the factory mags are so far unfounded. It is listed as an 8 + 1 but I put 9 into the mag and fed from there and it worked great. It felt good in the hand but I will be purchasing a Hogue grip. So when everyone says "any 9mm mag" will a generic 10 round fit this? Why are some designated as S&W will the Smith's fit? I looked at the CDNN and cheaper than dirt but did not see anything. I will try the other site listed here I appreciate the help. I read a post a guy bought generic mags and they would not stay latched in. And by the way, if you go to Gunbroker.com their category for Mags is listed as follows under accessorys. Pistol Magazines & Pistol Clips. Just saying.

xmen

Follow up

Just so you know this is my first 1911. I have shot my daughters SR9C before but surely not the same experience. This is my first owned one. I have always been a revolver guy, cough cough. I know that is not your passion here. I can shoot the hairs off of a gnats butt at 30 yards consistently. This 1911 also needs a white dot at the end of the front site. The black front on black rear on black target kind of makes it hard to see.

xmen said:
This link is to a 9mm 8 round mag. Read the reviews.
Respectfully, no it isn't. From the title of the ad:

Metalform Magazine 1911 Government, Commander 9mm Luger 9-Round Steel Blue Flat Follower Removable Base
1911s can be notoriously picky about magazines, possibly due to variations in the engagement lug os the magazine catch. The same magazine that works in one 1911 may not work in another. That's just the way it is.

That said (tm), Metalform is one of Colt's OEM magazine suppliers for 1911s, and they have been making them for a very long time. You have a better chance of a Metalform magazine working in a 1911 than just about any other brand (other than Check-Mate, which many regard as the preferred brand for 1911 magazines these days).

Last edited:

xmen

thanks

one of the reviews I read was 9mm 8 round. I have read so many. But the reviews are basically the same. Some say great some say junk. I want to avoid the fighting to get them to work issues some guys seem to have.

10-96

If I recall, and can explain- the mainest thing to look for is the stepped front portion of the clip body. When 9mm 1911's started getting a little on the popular side, a few folks made a straight sided clip- and those didn't work. I believe it was Springfield Armory that put a crease in each side of the clip to help in alignment... or something. Ever since then- most everyone else has followed suit.

I think to search out the bad ones- a guy might look at reviews at places such as MidwayUSA, etc. And, not just for the 9mm 1911 clips- but a good sampling of several clips from those manufacturers. One of the truly rotten clip manufacturers is/was USA Magazines... I think. I make a lot of my purchase decisions on those little rating stars. I know you've read the reviews- but maybe overall reviews can give you an idea about the manufacturers capabilities.

dgludwig

Pistol Magazines & Pistol Clips. Just saying.

You're right, xmen, and there's no real stigma to using the word "clip" when you mean magazine. Even manufacturers describe magazines as clips on their packaging material. It's just that some of us insist on using the "technically" correct terms when differentiating between magazines and clips because at one time, long, long ago, it did make a difference. Times change and so does nomenclature terminology. Rest easy, my friend, and call 'em as you see 'em. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.