9mm carry ammo for Kahr P9

jawper

Looking for input on carry ammunition for my new Kahr P9. Due to the short barrel, I'm thinking 115 grain. My other carry 9mm is stocked with 124 grain Hydro-Shok and there isn't a 115 grain option (unless I've over looked the 115 gr HS). I shot some Win Silvertips and some Fed Hi Shoks the other day. Unimpressed with the accuracy and surprisingly strong recoil of the Silvertips. Hi Shoks were easy to shoot and made impressive single hole groups. I'm interested in what other TFLers are carrying in their short barreled 9mms. Due to the light weight of the Kahr's polymer frame, I'm hesitant to load +P or +P+. I know I wouldn't notice the increased abuse of my shooting hand in a real life encounter but I want something that I can practice with A LOT to build proficiency.

All input is welcome. I'd appreciate the help.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

VictorLouis

The Fed. 9BP is an excellent standard velocity choice in 115. I believe even the P9 should be endorsed for +P use, but check the manual. FWIW, the 9BP+P+(LE) shoots to the same POA/POI in my Kahr as the standard.

denfoote

115gr Cor-Bon should work just fine.

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!
Defend the Constitution from the foreign threat!!!!

buzz_knox

Practice with the standard pressure loads and fire just enough +P to familiarize yourself with point of impact, to get used to the feel, and to insure reliability. It's a compromise between always training with what you use and carrying the most effective rounds possible. But, it works fairly well. That's the way I do it with my Glock 26 (carry Triton 115 gr +Ps and use std pressure 115 gr for practice).

Phil

I haven't shot that many rounds through it yet, but I do like the way the 115 gr Hi-shoks shoot in my MK9.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I carried 115 gr Triton +P HPs in my Kahr, but have also had good luck with Cor*Bon's 115 gr +P. The K9 is rated for use with Plus P ammo. If you want a heavier bullet, you might look at Triton's 124 gr +P JHP. It appears to be a Hornady XTP, but is not. The bullet, made by Hornady to Triton's specs, turns inside out like the Sierras used by Cor*Bon. Best and good shooting.

Hann

Take a look at the June 2000 Shooting Times that just came out. Dick Metcalf does an extensive testing review of 9mm vs. 380 ACP, Pocket Pistols for Self Defense. He tested 9mm loads out of 3.25 inch barrel and the 124-gr JHP's have the greatest wound area (40% greater than the best .380 loads with the same 3.25-inch barrel length).

I have the Kahr MK9 and pratice with 124-gr Aguila ball ammo. Aguila is cheap, loaded very hot, and print almost exactly like the Remington 124-gr+P Golden Sabers that I use as a self defense load. Kahr's are +P rated and with the shorter barrel, you need all the velocity you can get.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Hann

M1911

I tried the 124 gr HydraShoks in my Mk9, but found they had excessive muzzle flash. In the unlikely event that TSHTF, I suspect it will be at night and don't want to be blinded by the flash. I've since changed to Remington 115 gr +P+. These are not Golden Sabres. Recoil was not an issue in my Mk9, but it's a lot heavier than your P9.

Jared

jawper

All,

First off, thanks very much for all the input so far. Please keep it coming. My wife's going out of town for several days and I think I'll pass the time with an ammo exploration. I'm gonna gather samples of as many rounds as possible and take the time to put them through the P9. Should develop a better feel for what prints/works/recoils the best. I'll use these suggestions as a shopping list and see what I can dig up.

Again, many thanks. I'll look forward to any more advice.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper