9mm carbine zero distance.

Eazyeach

Does anyone have an opinion on what distance to zero an AR 9? Right now I've got my eotech on top of my PSA 9mm carbine and I'm not sure what zero to use. Maybe I should zero 1.5 inches low at 10 yds so I would have similar hold-overs to my 5.56 guns. Am I on the right track? Or should I just zero at 25 yds and plink away?

Mobuck

A 50 yard zero should be fine unless you plan to shoot (at) very small targets @ 25 yards. We don't shoot the 9mm carbines much anymore but IIRC a 50 yard zero puts you about 6" (or less) low @ 100 which is about as far as the package is effective for normal use.

DMK

After playing around with a ballistics calculator with 115gr, I zero mine 1.5" low at 100y. That gives me a 2" PBR out to about 105yds.

According to the data, that comes out to .3" high at 25y, 1.6" high at 50y, and 1" high at 75y.

The zeros are at about 21y and 89yds.

kraigwy

I don't have a 9mm Carbine but a couple of my friends do. They shoot them in our 3 gun matches and have them zeroed at 50 yards they do pretty good across the 3 gun course we use.

My 92fs is sighted in that range and it works for me. I also have my 224 M4 sighted in at 50 yards.

But it could depend on what you intend on doing with the carbine.

Eazyeach

My intention is to use it for practice when unable to use my .223 for lack of a range. I can shoot pistols in my field , but I have to go to an actual range for rifle work.

Thanks for the input fellow TFL ers!

DMK

I don't have a 9mm Carbine but a couple of my friends do. They shoot them in our 3 gun matches and have them zeroed at 50 yards they do pretty good across the 3 gun course we use.

My 92fs is sighted in that range and it works for me. I also have my 224 M4 sighted in at 50 yards.
That seems like an odd zero for 3 gun PCC. That's a really tight PBR out to 75y but then nearly a 5" drop at 100y and an 18" drop at 150y.

A 25y zero is even better than that with a crossover at about 77y, a really tight PBR out to 90y and only a 3" drop at 100y, though still a 15" drop at 150y.

50y zero makes sense with 223/5.56 though, with its flat ballistics.

Last edited:

jwalker

Interesting topic. I just got a CZ Scorpion carbine, and I thought that when money permits I would throw a little red dot on it. I am also wondering what 9mm carbine the OP has.