9mm barrel for a .40 Sig P239

cpaspr

New to this so please forgive what many of you may take for granted. I've been reading a lot of the various threads lately, some issues are clear as mud, but I pm'd another poster earlier today regarding getting a 9mm barrel for my Sig P239 which is chambered for .40S&W/.357 Sig. He pointed me to a company called Barsto (www.barsto.com). They seem to have a replacement barrel ($200) which actually does allow my version of the P239 to back down to the 9 mm. (Can't ramp up the 9 mm version to the .40 / .357Sig though.)

Anyway, my question is this: Are they reputable? I can't seem to get on their website now (did earlier). And does a barrel have to go through my local FFL shop, or can it be direct shipped?

Okay, that's it for my first post.

trooper3385

I've been carrying Sigs for awhile and have several of them. (P226, P226DAK, P229,P232) I've never heard of being able to interchange the barrels from a .40/.357 to a 9mm. May be it is possible, but thats news to me. I have a .40 barrel and .357 barrel for my P229, but I didn't realize you could go down to a 9mm. If you can, you better make sure the mags are interchangeable as well.

stephen426

You will have to change the springs as well. The 9mm rounds should not have enough power to cycle the slide for the .40 S&W/.357 Sig. As trooper said, the 9mm rounds will not fit properly in .40 S&W mag. I don't think it would be that hard to get the barrel to fit. They would just have to make it thicker than necessary. I guess with a different barrel, spring, and mag, it might work. Let us know.

Lucky 7

The rocoil spring is a factor in the cycling of a 9 in a .40 frame...Check w/ Wolff Springs and you should be fine.
Semper Fi!
-L7

smince

My concern would be for the bolt face on the front of the slide. 9mm and .40SW DO NOT have the same size case head. How is the round going to eject? Will the same extractor the fits the .40 also come in enough to grasp the 9mm groove? I have serious doubts on this. .357 SIG and .40 do have the same size case heads. That is what allows this conversion to work.

I would think you need a 9mm slide as well as a barrel for it to work.

cpaspr

Here's the link to Barsto's FAQ section: http://www.barsto.com/FAQs.cfm?C1=1003

They say: "9mm for 40/357 firearms
For Sig firearms the 229,226,2340. You only need to change the barrel and most of the time you can use the 40/357 magazines. On the 239 you only change the barrel and can use the 40 but not the 357 sig mags. On all these you can get factory 9mm mags for those.
No spring changes needed. The breech face is fine and the extractor on these type of firearms springs over far enough to catch the case head and extract reliably. "

Not quite ready to do it yet, but seriously considering it.

rellascout

This conversion is done all the time. I have shot P229s, P226s and P239 that have done this conversion with a barsto barrel.

Check out http://sigforum.com and do a search on Barsto.

Sometimes the barrel will need some additional fitting work but with a little break in they work great. No other changes are needed. Depending on the model you can even use your older mags. This in not to say I would CCW with this setup but many people report almost 100% reliability. If you are going to CCW with the 9mm conversion barrel I would suggest changing springs and getting a9mm mag or two. If you intendto just save money on practice ammo and only shoot 9mm at the range I might not bother. Good luck. Believe me they work. Many Sig fans use them with great sucess.

Rinspeed

Bar-Sto's reputation couldn't be any better. Some of the very top pistolsmiths in the country prefer Bar-Sto barrels. The are very accurate with a variety of different loads and last a long time. As has been said the 9mm barrels work fine in Sig .40/357 guns. Two things, make sure when your order you specify .40/357 to 9mm conversion barrel. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Bar-Sto didn't have this barrel on the shelf. You might have to wait for the next run of these they make.

rellascout

Yes that is true. They are made in batches. There was a group buy on the Sig Forum last month. The barrels have not shipped yet. Lead time is 6 to 8 weeks. depending on time of year you order.