9mm Ball Ammo Question

seeker_two

Hypothetically speaking....if one had to rely on 9mm FMJ for defensive use, what bullet weight would be preferable: 115gr, 124gr, or 147gr (all loaded to factory standard pressures)?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FITASC

I prefer 124s. I use Speer 124TMJs for practice; they function perfectly. I use Speer GD's for serious work. GD's cost .80/ea, the TMJs cost .18/each

rock185

I'd likely go with the 124 NATO paknheat mentions, or the newer Winchester 115 grain M1152 flat point.

Should have mentioned that both the NATO and M1152 are loaded to higher pressures, so maybe not what you'd consider. At standard pressures, any commercial US 115 or 124 ball would probably be similar in performance.....

TailGator

I doubt it would matter much. The lighter bullets are going to be going a little faster, the heavier slower. It will be close enough to a wash that placement will be more important that bullet selection.

kymasabe

I'm with FITASC on this one. I use 124 fmj for practice and Federal HST 124's for carry. I find 124 works best for me and my SD9.
So in a world where I had to rely on fmj only, I'd go 124. 147 would be my second choice.

TruthTellers

124 I would think. Little bit more mass, better reliability cycling the action, good velocity. The 147 is best used with suppressors. The 115 grain is the cheap stuff you shoot at the range, but in a hollow point is pretty good for the value price ammo.

Above all tho, shoot what your guns shoot best with.

jrothWA

For both practise andcarryammo,

I prefer the 124 gr FMJ & HP's [XTP'S].

CHeck out the website: Hipowers and Handguns, by the late Steve Camp, very good onformation.

Regarding NATO ammo, have the firearm checked out for use, may NEED to
upgrade springs and might use buffers.

Check with the manufacturer.

Good Luck.

mr bolo

the 124 gr NATO because it packs a little more "punch" also goes through barriers better than a 115gr range load

Auto5

I have been gradually switching my supply over from 115 gr to 124. Kimber specifically recommended the heavier bullets for use in the Solo and I've found that other small nines work better with 124 or 147 as well.

Hal

I use 115 grain in my Sig 938.
Once it gets fully broken in, I'll probably change over to 124 gr JHP.

jmr40

NATO chose 124 gr for a reason. But while early 147 gr loads had some issues I'm starting to see some evidence it may be the better option. For now 124 gr has proven to be the best choice, but I'm keeping an open mind towards the future.

In the days of ball ammo 9mm was, IIRC, not much better than 50% in stopping power.

It was about 65%. 45 ACP ball was about 68%.

Well, in my mind, they all make the same sized hole. For me, makes no difference.

Same diameter hole, but heavier bullets make a much deeper hole. That makes a difference.

Brit

Shooting with some Isralies they had black tip 9mm. Came in 64 round cardboard boxes.
All cartridge cases cleaned up, boxes burned in the old stove. Quite the recoil. They used BHP mil-spec pistols, the magazine disconnect was left in. Carried chamber empty.
When they changed to Glock 17s, the chamber was loaded. Leather holsters and double mag pouches. Both inside the belt-mounted. Never saw a fat one!