9mm and Clays universal?

Oberg

I have a problem with my reloads not chambering the next round and was wondering if anyone using universal has had problems in cold weather? It was -10 and - 15 degrees when they didn't work but at 20 degrees on sunday they worked just find. Someone had mentioned to me that maybe the lub on the gun was freezing up? could that be it also? I used from min to max charges in both cold and not so cold temps also. any info would be great thanks.

rc

Not a powder problem

Universal clays is excellent in 9mm. The problem with chambering is probably due to bullet seating depth. Compare the overall length of a similar factory bullet and you are probably around 1.169 inches oal or longer. Generally, facgtory ammo is close to 1.130 to 1.150. Hollow points are generally shorter than round nose loads. Your bullets are probably hitting the rifling before your action closes. I'll bet if you try to extract your loaded rounds you'll find your pistol a bear to open and this can mess up your extractor. I would resize all your loaded rounds down the the correct overall length. Do not use my estimates but a recomendation from a reloading manual or by comparison with factory rounds as I'm going by memory. rc

SL1

I don't understand why you got a reply about COL when you said the loads worked fine at warmer temperatures.

I don't use Universal Clays (just plain Clays), so I don't know about low-temperature performance. I have read that high-nitroglycerin content double-based powdes can get power-loss issues at low tempertures, but nothing in particular about Universal Clays.

You mentioned lube issues, but did not say what lube you are using. If it is a grease instead of an oil or a "dry" lube, then that could be your problem.

SL1

Agree that this is most likely lube thickening. Powders do have less energy when it is cold enough, so if the slide doesn't go back all the way you end up with a feed issue. In general the recoil feels very spongy when that happens because the slide isn't colliding with the frame. But either cause is possible. The way to find out which it is would be keeping the gun and magazine in a holster your coat covers them completely, but leave the ammo out in the cold. To test, pull the gun out, and promptly lock the slide back and drop the magazine and quickly put two chilled rounds into it and load and fire. See if round 2 feeds?

Oberg

It is a oil base lube. Outers if i remember correctly. And I'll try that getting the rounds cold first. This last time i went out the rounds where warm also (I didn't mention that) I had them in my parents house then in my car while I shot. Thanks so far guys