9MM ammo recommendations

LoneStranger

Went to the Gun Show this weekend with my younger brother. I went to look and indulge fantasies and he went to purchase himself a pistol.
I had not discussed it with him and he had not asked my opinion. But he did know what he was looking for, Ruger P89DC. Apparently he has had a chance to shoot one and he agreed with the recommendations on this.
Good note is that he saved $100-150, NIB, by buying at the Show.
Now, what I would like to request is recommendations on types and sizes of ammo for use. He will be getting his wife to shoot this pistol and will probably be doing light to med. target shooting. Obviously will be used for HD. No CCW here in Kansas so that does not apply.
Thanks for any responses. :)

Snowdog

You'll no doubt get several responses on this.

Any premium offering will suffice. I personally prefer 115gr +P+ Gold Dots loaded by Georgia Arms, but there are plenty of others, such as:

*Winchester SXTs................(147gr)
*Remington Golden Sabers..(124gr and 147gr)
*Hornady XTPs.....................(90gr, 115gr, 124gr and 147gr)
*Cor-Bon JHPs......................(115gr, 124gr and 147gr)
*Triton Quik-Shok.................(115gr and 135gr)
*Federal Hydra-Shok............(124gr, 147gr and PD 135gr)

There are many more than these, but these are a few I enjoy.

Bullet weight will also be an issue for some. I personally like the 115-124 grain weight.
The new generation 147gr subsonics offer more reliable expansion than what was expected of them a few years back, but they also don't quite have the energy of the lighter options.

Good luck.

VVG

9mm ammo

WalMart sells a box of 100 Winchester 115 gr FMJ for $10.90 or so, or about half what most ammo is. I stay away from any of the +P stuff, especially in a new gun. I shoot fmj at the range but if I was worried about having to shoot someone at home, I would get JHP instead, but not bother with any special killer-diller bullets.

Mike Kilo Niner

For practice S&B makes a nice 115gr FMJ load that shoots fairly clean and accurately. My Sig and Kahr eat it up.

For defensive use Snowdog had some good recommendations. I use Speer 124gr +P GoldDots -- accurate as all get out and always rated highly for reliable expansion.

The bottom line is try a couple of boxes of each (spendy, but well worth the peace of mind) to find out if your gun has a preference for reliably feeding one load over another.

Mikul

I second the recommendation of Sellier & Bellot for practice ammunition. AmmoMan has it for $135 per thousand.

For self-defense I use 124gr ProLoads. They're available directly from the company for $10.65 for 20.

Incursion

For practice, I use PMP which costs $110/1000 at centuryarms.com

For defense, I like Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P or Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr. +P+. The Hydrashoks have too much flash out of the P7 according to an informal test by a member at parkcitiestactical.com
Here's the link:
http://www.rothenbuhler.com/gun/ammo.htm

tonyulichnie

9MM AMMO

I like to use S&B 9mm and .40 in my Hi-Points.
Mikul, www.natchezss.com/ sells 9mm for $105.00 for 1000 plus $17.00 for shipping and I have ordered from them many times, so far good people to work with.
If you keep checking their web site they carry the 9mm S&B a lot of the times for $4.99 50rnd box with a 10box minimum.
Tony

VVG

9mm

Is S&B somehow preferable to the Winchester? At $109/1000 at WalMart, no shipping and buy 100 at a time, can't beat that. I've found the PMP 115 FMJ has less recoil than the Winchester, but has appreciable muzzle flash.

Bob Locke

Not a big deal on which practice ammo (Winchester, S&B, etc.) you use IMO. For the most part, it's basically the same stuff.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 124-gr +P loads in my G19. There are many, many quality loads available from Cor-Bon, Triton, Winchester, Federal, and others. I'll second the thought of trying a box or two of each "flavor" to find out what your pistol likes and agree that it will be expensive but worth it.

tonyulichnie

Walmart

VVG
wow I wish my walmart would carry USA for 100 rnds for $10.90
ours here in michigan,GrandRapids rung $8.90 for 50 rnds.
I should send you some money and let you buy me a few thousand rounds...lol
Tony

Swamp Yankee

As others have posted for practice the Winchester USA 9mm FMJ in the 100 pack at WalMart is hard to beat even if you reload.
For carry or home defense the Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot is a good load. Be sure to try several different brands and bullet weights to see what you and your gun like best.
Take Care

Jspy

Just a note concerning the Win. USA at Wal-Mart. I had trouble finding this as well until I noticed the difference in packaging. This is packed loosely in a smaller box with 100 rds in it, which is hard to tell if you are trying to eyeball it thru some screened glass or over a counter. Plus if your friendly employee there is some old woman, she might not know one box from another.:D

Mike H

Incursion

Out of interest where do you get your Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+ from.

For reference this is the correct title for the round, there is no such thing as the Ranger Black Talon.

Black Talon became the Ranger SXT which became the Ranger Talon which is now the bonded jacket T Series, of which I have yet to see anything but a picture.

The picture linked above shows a .45ACP Ranger that has deployed its "petals", the result of reverse taper jacket design, originally seen in the Black Talon.

The Golden Saber +P 124gr and Gold Dot 124gr +P are both great rounds, but the Ranger 127gr +P+ IMO is something special. Compare the smooth mushroom of any other expanded JHP against the jagged edges of the Ranger, the wounding potential must be significant.

In the final analysis, any high quality JHP in any weight will serve you just fine, we all just enjoy arguing about the difference between Coke and Pepsi, when in fact they will both quench your thirst.

Mike H

WESHOOT2

POINTING OUT THE (NOT-SO) OBVIOUS

Those "pretty petals" are like a TV commercial; made to look mouth-watering in the pictures, but wrinkled from sitting in the microwave when you actually buy one.

The correct non-L.E. 9x19 projectile is IMNSHO the R-P semi-jacketed HP in a nickel-cased +P or +P+ configuration. Screw the expense; you'll be betting your (and your wife's) life on its performance.

As for "target" or "plinking" ammo, suggest starting at the bottom of the price ladder (still given a minimum quality level) and working your way UP the price ladder until reaching your desired performance level.
Try www.cole-distributing.com, www.georgia-arms.com, www.black-hills.com, CCI-Speer Blazer aluminum-cased ammo, www.ammoman.com, Winchester, Remington, S&B, and some few others.

And keep asking here; its where we can ALL learn.
Enjoy.