9mm ammo question for NRA Bullseye shooting

erob3

Hey all, I shot my first Bullseye competiton today and did fairly well. The club I belong to shot both .22LR and center fire pistols. Everyone knows
.22LR offers ammo in what is known as "standard velocity"; Is there such a thing for 9mm? I DO NOT want to invest money into buying a pistol just for this, I am having fun but nothing more. I also DO NOT want to reload, they only shoot this competition once a month so it's not that big of a deal. I currently shoot a S&W Pro Series 1911 9mm which is more than sufficient for shooting bullseye. I shot Federal I got from Wally world but if I could find something with less velocity that would be great. I can change the recoil spring if needed. Thanks in advance for any help.

erob3

I am mainly interested in reducing the recoil, I should have mentioned that to begin with. Sorry. Jim, will the 147gr 9mm reduce recoil since I'm guessing the bullet is heavier. Thanks

Jim Watson

The computed recoil will be the same, or close, recoil is a momentum balance, mass times velocity equal in both directions. A slower, heavier bullet will work out about the same as a faster, lighter bullet.

I find the FELT recoil of subsonics to be less jarring. The muzzle blast is less, too; which is a comfort factor even with ear protection.