9MM Ammo has no Standard Size.

stdalire

Why there are so many sizes of 9MM ammo. I observe that when I purchased the bullets called Winchester 9MM luger, it is a little smaller than the bullets marked 9MM Parabellum made in Europe. Not to mention the other smaller 9MM. Some 9MM has shorter case or longer lead but the same FMJ.

If we say 9 millimeter it should have the same sizes. Should this not really affect the real energy of a 9MM bullets and its accuracy?

Thanks

WESHOOT2

Wrongo!

EVERYTHING affects accuracy, so testing in YOUR gun is required.

Don't let the variances bother you; just find what works for you.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

bobo

The most common size is 9X19MM I think to
express the width & length . Others I've seen
are 9X25, 9mm Kurz (380? ), Most of the
differnce are due to European influences and
/or modern improvements in the 9mm size package.

hologon

I'm not sure Stdalire is talking about differences in actual cartridge TYPES (i.e. 9x25 vs 9x19 x 9x18) but rather differences in the 9x19 parabellum/luger cartridge.

Looking at a couple of Silvertip STHP 115gr's, FC Hydrashok 124gr, and Hydrashok 135gr, all the bullets themselves seem to be different sizes.

What was especially interesting was the significant jacket differences between the 124 nd 135 grain Hydrashoks -- definitely a millimeter or so longer and a good deal more squat in the 135. I haven't been able to find any 147's yet, but I suppose they're also quite different.

Or maybe not?

-Jon

stdalire

Hologon, yes I am referring the 9x19 parabellum/luger cartridge. The european made I bought has a longer case and lead.

Any US manufactured I have seen in all the bullets I bought has a shorter case whereas the eurupean made is a little bit longer and thicker.

Is this has no problem on the ejection port which is made for the luger size cartridge.

Also, I noticed in my Pistol Manual that I should not use p+ powder, but it also said the pistol is good up to 124 grains. If I use 124 gr's p+ would it destroy my barrel.

I remember, it has been discussed in the forum that put the hottest load to your gun as you could, and barrel don't get burst if manufactured by noted maker.

To sum up, can I use any factory made 9X19 ammo to my 9MM regardless of the quatity grains load.

Thanks

JackNKoch

"...there is a large variation in 9mm Luger cases. Some differ in neck thickness while others differ in internal taper and case capacity. It is best to segregate cases by manufacturer and construction and load accordingly."

This quote is from the fourth edition of Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.

Higher pressure loads, such as +P or +P+, will accelerate wear in any handgun. Limited use should be safe, however. I have seen submachinegun ammo listed "for carbine use only". I would use this very sparingly in any handgun.

It is my understanding that many guns chambering the 9X19 have slightly oversized chambers and barrels to allow for the differences in ammunition dimensions. Some ammo may prove more reliable or accurate based on these tolerances alone.

paltik

for example, what european markings are you refffering to?
my opinion is that NATO specs. 9mm are thicker case, but same diameter.
maybe .0001mm difference.
if youre referring to a longer case, that is a 9x23 ammo (same as super38 +-) coz,in europe you cannot own guns that is the same caliber the military is using..