9mm advice needed!

meat

I have been doing some serious thinking and research on full size 9mm handguns. As a matter of fact, I've probably been doing TOO much. My head is spinning w/ the pros and cons of various 9mm handguns that I've researched. Now, I don't know which one to get! I've narrowed my choice down between 2 full size guns: The Glock 17 and the CZ-75b. Both of these guns seem to meet my major requirements that I am looking for in a 9mm (reliability, durability, accuracy, long service life, ease of maintenace - w/ a slight edge to the glock in this area, good customer service, and aftermarket accessories). Here's my main concern. I live in the loveley State of Maryland (cough!!! - sarcasm). Next year, only guns that have built in locking mechanisms will be approved to be sold to the public. That doesn't leave me many choices for an inexpensive 9mm semiauto (no more CZ's in Maryland next year). Since I can only afford one of these guns on my budget, I need advice on which one to get based on the fact that this may be the only handgun I will have for awhile. I may use the gun to try and get involved w/ idpa also and I like the idea that glock has the gssf too. Thanks for all the advice in advance. I really need some help from someone other than a salesperson who is just looking to make a some money off of me. I really want to make the correct, informed decision here.

t-man

Go for the Glock. I just think it's more versatile- although I'm pretty biased. But for me, the Glock is lightweight, durable, etc. I use the Glock for backpacking and home defense. The CZ, though is a fine, fine pistol. Maybe get both. That's what always ends up happening with me. I fret between two pistols, get one, and then 3 months later go out and get the other. You should probably figure out if you like the idea of the CZ with it's Double Action/Single action trigger - or the 1 1/2 action of the Glock. That is one advantage (to me) about the Glock, is that every trigger pull is the same.

Either way, you won't lose.

jmho

t-man

tonyz

Another vote for the CZ-75b, Have you looked at the Beretta 92 FS Inox? If not ,hold it, point it and fire it, if possable before you make up you mind.

Tony

Russ

If you want the gun for competition or are thinking about it, get the CZ 85 Combat. This gun fits the bill in many ways. It's about $80 more than the 75B but has adjustible sights, ambi safety and slide stop release, extended mag release button and fall away magazines. I got one in Nickel for $439. The polycoat is usually less. I prefer all steel guns. I bought one recently and the fit and finish is as good as it gets.

Dwight M S

Meat,
Good researching. Now find a place where you can rent and shoot them, and see which one fits your anatomy the most comfortably.
Dwight M S

chaim

I absolutely love my CZ. It is a truely great gun. Also, if you live in MD you touched on one reason to buy the CZ before the Glock (remember there is no reason why you can't eventually get both if you like them both)- next year CZs will cease to be available in Maryland while Glocks still will (though with that infernal, internal lock).

treeprof

Tough one, but if full-cap mags are legal in MA, I'd go for a CZ. In addiiotn to being superbly accurate and just plain enjoyable to shoot, you can buy a CZ and some 15 rd mags for the price of a G17, and you can get 2 or more 15 CZ rd mags for the price of one G17 full-cap.

Mikul

Two advantages of the CZ over the Glock:

1) Better trigger. The CZ is much better in single action mode. Double-action is for emergencies only, get used to cocked and locked.

2) Reasonably priced 15-round magazines. Why carry a full-sized gun with only 11 rounds in it?

Glock advantage over the CZ:

1) No safety. Personally, I like safeties, but the glock with no safety is quicker to action that probably any gun with one.

Yes, the Glock has more toys available, but which ones do you care about? If you want a gun-mounted light or laser, then go Glock, but I've got a gun with rails and there's nothing out there that I find useful.

You can change the slab grips on the CZ. If you want something smaller, larger or just prettier, it's doable. With the Glock you can add an overmoulded grip, but that's it.

Have you considered the H&K USP series and the new Springfield XD (better trigger than the Glock)?

sven

Glock now offers an internal lock on most of their guns.

Probably because of this legislation (sigh).

bountyh

If you like the CZ-75, you'll love the CZ-85 Combat. Has adjustable sights and a better trigger (smoother and has overtravel stop). I think it's only about $25 more? Worth it.

Rob96

How many 9mm threads are you going to start? Beings you shot both, you'll just have to pick the one that feels best to you, or does everything that you want it to. It took a little time , but I solved the dilemna by purchasing a CZ75 and a G19. I much prefer the CZ but in them times when dress won't allow for concealment, the G19 fits that role. Now go buy one of them and start saving for the other. :D

meat

Rob96, I know that I've been asking alot about 9mm and posting many questions on this topic. I didn't mean to be annoying. To be honest, I was very foolish with many of my gun choices in the past and bought them for their "coolness" factor. I have probably bought and sold more guns than I would like to admit to. I wasted so much $. Now i just want something that is fun and reliable (and that'll work as a competition and defense gun that i can shoot the heck out of :D ). I just want to make sure that I don't make the same old mistakes that I have in the past. Thanks for the responses.

Blue Duck357

Glock 17 is my favorite handgun BUT in your case I'd get the CZ. Glock already has a internal safety available, so you should be able to pick one up next year without a problem. CZ on the other hand might well be a now or never kind of deal, sounds simple to me.

Rovert

Meat, this is the part where I put in my plug for the P99. If you're up for a road trip to the Shore area of NJ, you're welcome to shoot a few boxes through mine, along with a few of the other rental guns they have at my range, before you make a decision. IMO, the P99 is all that a Glock is, with a few more features, better ergonomics, more accuracy, and a much improved trigger pull. I also believe the P99 qualifies for sale in MD as-is.