9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp shot to shot recovery test

WildBill45

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_mEWeSl6xw

I read a lot of complaints about how the 9mm us better because it recovers faster when firing under shootout conditions, is this true? I took out my Canik TP9, HK USP compact 40, and XD 45 ACP to see on film how much it actually was in the real world.

If your only factor is recovery time then may I suggest a Ruger SR22, if power is your thing may I suggest a S&W 500 ... the actual answer is probably in the middle.

LockedBreech

Though I agree 100% that the difference in service caliber recoil is very overstated, critics of your test might note that since you used 3 different platforms with different weights and ergonomics, it might be hard to tell if the differences are caliber-related or platform-related.

WildBill45

critics of your test might note that since you used 3 different platforms with different weights and ergonomics, it might be hard to tell if the differences are caliber-related or platform-related.

They may be correct to challenge that as critics do what they do and that is ok. This was NOT an FBI lab test, just a long in the tooth shooter illuminating the subject from my view point and backed up with images that give the visual fan something to think about...

LockedBreech

I completely understand, and I appreciate you going through the effort for us. I suppose it's pretty rare for any shooter to have access to identical platforms in 3 calibers.

jr24

Good vid. My experimentation with my Glocks (19C, 23, 30S) netted pretty much the same results.

WildBill45

I completely understand, and I appreciate you going through the effort for us. I suppose it's pretty rare for any shooter to have access to identical platforms in 3 calibers.

I wish I had such a trio of HKs!!! That would be fun, but if you consider that the Canik is new for me, as well as the HK, and I only received the XD from father who passed away a month ago, with only a few rounds through each ... that makes it fair it seems, the unfamiliarity of all the platforms...:)

Uncle Malice

This is a cool test.

I suppose I could do something similar but on the same platform... I just don't generally do shooting video. Hrmm...

10600645_10152833227042533_921885139849678824_n.jpg

WildBill45

I suppose I could do something similar but on the same platform

That is a nice place to start .22 to 45 on the same design, if the .22 is actually the same design. My money is on the .22 having less recovery time already though!!!:D

feets

Some of the "recovery time" may have come from the competitive shooters.
Many of the top shooters in IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, and other groups are capable of outrunning a standard gun.
The reason one friend moved away from his Kimber in 45 ACP is because he was having to wait for the slide to return. His skills had progressed to the point that he was literally operating faster than the gun. Since the Kimber was a custom bullseye gun he didn't want to make any modifications to it.

Moving to an SR9 gave him the faster lock time he wanted. However, he ended up outgrowing that gun too.

He recently picked up a SP01 in 9mm and is developing his skills with that platform. This CZ variant is nearly as customizable as the 1911 platform so he'll be able to play with it for quite some time.

TunnelRat

The reason one friend moved away from his Kimber in 45 ACP is because he was having to wait for the slide to return. His skills had progressed to the point that he was literally operating faster than the gun.

Waiting for the slide to return? :confused:

Uncle Malice

Waiting for the slide to return? :confused:

It's a Kimber. I'm sure it was just jammed and stuck out of battery so he was waiting for it to return to battery... Unfortunately, it's a Kimber, so that's unlikely to happen. :D

TunnelRat

Lol. I think he means that the shot recovery was faster on other pistols, I just wouldn't describe that as operating faster than the gun. But I have this mental image of Barry Allen just sitting there watching the slide in slow motion. :D

feets

Yes, waiting for the slide to return.

No, knucklehead, it wasn't jammed.

The Kimber was built by Tony Kidd as a bullseye gun before Kidd moved into 10/22s. It is one of the best running most accurate guns I've laid hands on. It's tuned beautifully for standard rates of fire. It was not built for the action shooting sports.

Yes, it is possible to outrun a properly functioning 1911 in 45 ACP. The heavy slide and speed of recoil means it takes longer for the gun to operate.
9mm guns with lighter slides operate a bit quicker due to the lower inertia of the slide. The higher speed of the recoil means the slide hits it's travel limits sooner and the lighter weight makes it quicker on return.

You need a good slow motion camera to record the action but it's true.

It's like Miculek running a heavy trigger spring in his match revolvers. A lighter trigger spring can't push hard enough on the trigger to get it reset in time for his next trigger pull. He can outrun the gun.

Rat, it is not shot recovery. It is waiting on the gun to finish cycling.

Have you ever thought about why unlimited guys lighten the slides in their race guns? It's so they will cycle quicker because the shooters are faster than their guns.

TunnelRat

It's like Miculek running a heavy trigger spring in his match revolvers. A lighter trigger spring can't push hard enough on the trigger to get it reset in time for his next trigger pull. He can outrun the gun.

It's easier for someone to outrun a trigger return spring than it is a slide.

Few people are as fast as Miculek and most of the top competition shooters, hence I'm not sure this applies to this thread.

Have you ever thought about why unlimited guys lighten the slides in their race guns? It's so they will cycle quicker because the shooters are faster than their guns.

I avoid thinking whenever possible obviously, but yes I know this. Some of the lightening is also to run lighter loads that will recoil less and have faster recovery time. I was merely commenting on the way it was phrased. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:

Evil Monkey

Shooting an unmodified, normal defense pistol, that fast will usually have the second round fired anywhere except the target. So it doesn't matter if you can "outrun" the trigger/slide because in that time frame you have to get the sight picture straight before you pull the trigger again.

Last edited:

feets

Monkey, you are once again proving yourself to be little more than a mouthy nuisance.

I hereby invite you to come to Dallas and bring your favorite handguns.

We will go to a private range and have a little friendly competition.

We will shoot strings of rapid fire at targets ranging from 15 to 50 yards. All rounds will be on target. We have a variety of firearms in a range of modification from stock to moderately modified and in the common calibers.

Put your money where your mouth is. Run the guns. Hang with me and my shooting buddies. Accuracy and speed of fire. I'm just the average shooter but I'm beginning to doubt you could handle even my mediocre skills.

I dare you.

Bring it or shut up.