9mm/.380 and Golden Saber questions

Jeffenwulf

I'm rather fond of the 102 gr Golden Saber in .380. I was wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts on using the same bullet in 9mm. Since many of the online suppliers seem to be running short of just about everything, I'm thinking about just ordering a large quantity of the 102 gr to use in both types.

Since the Lyman 48th doesn't have a whole lot of data on different types of loads, I can only surmise that the velocity would be a couple hundred fps faster in the 9mm than the .380. Does anyone know how the 102gr would hold up at the higher velocities? Would I just be better off grabbing the 124gr for the 9mm?

Currently I only use W231 and Unique for pistols, it would seem either would work just fine for either load. Thanks.

MrApathy

havent seen the driving band on the 102gr no idea about load data.
have shot the 124/147gr in 9mm and 180gr in 40sw.

they need a flush crimp which is alot of crimp. charge needs reductions.

love what they do in 9mm/40sw. would like to see how the 380 performs.

Sidetracked

I can't find any data for the 102 gr in 9mm.

However, the Hodgdon and Hornady manuals both have data for 100 gr FMJs.

Hornady:
FMJ RN
W231 - 4.5-5.3 gr
Unique - 4.2-5.6 gr

Hogdon:
FMJ (Speer)
W231 - 5.1-5.5 gr
Unique - not listed

With such a big difference in starting loads.... You may want to check out the bullet designs this data was intended for, and compare the bore contact area with the Golden Sabre design.

Jeffenwulf

Lyman has 4.5-5.0 for W231 and 4.5-5.6 for Unique using 100gr FMJ. If I end up using 102gr Golden Saber, I'll start pretty light. I'll check on OAL, but I'm thinking around 1.1 should do the trick.

orionengnr

--Given that Remington does not load a 102 gr GS for 9mm, why would you?

--Given that most 9mm SD loads are 115 gr minimum, with many in the 124-127 gr range (including the Remington-loaded Golden Sabre) and with plenty of proponents of 147 gr loads, why would you go all the way down to 102 gr?

A .380 and a 9mm are different loads, and there are reasons for that.

If you just have thousands of 102 gr GS bullets sitting around, and you are going to use them to punch holes in paper, I guess that is fine. If you are proposing to load and carry them for SD, then this makes no sense to me.