9mm 1911 inexpensive project platform?

Dashunde

I'm a big fan of my 1911 .45's and have lately reading a little about the 9mm versions (that I'd previously considered blasphmemy).
With the price of 9mm compared to 45ACP, and many say that the 9's shoot real smooth, I thought I'd dig a bit deeper...

What is the least expensive 1911 9mm basic gun I can get that also has a wide range of aftermarket parts that fit it well?

A few days ago I was all set on a CZ-75B (D/A if I can find it) for around $600 :p

Last edited:

Venom1956

600 for a CZ 75 sounds a bit high IMO... But then again I shop around. Just so you know if you decide to buy it. I snagged my SP-01 for just under 500.00 OTD.

There are a few 1911s in 9mm none of which I own. I'm sure other members will be here shortly to inform you of them.

greyson97

RIA has a GI 9mm 1911. I saw one on J&G for $430. It looks real rough though. I bet its a great project gun. a basic cz75 for 600 is very steep. a CZ p-01 full sized, for 600 is on par though

Casimer

The least expensive option, that I'm aware of, is to convert an RIA 38 Super using a 9mm barrel. But I've never done this, and I've never tried to upgrade an RIA. Hopefully someone who has will comment.

I'd seen those 9mm listed at J&G as well, but have never come across other factory 9mm's from RIA.

schmeky

I've done this twice. My first full size 9mm 1911 used a NIB RIA 38 Super; paid <$400.00 delivered, out-the-door, what a deal. It is very easy and inexpensive to accomplish the conversion. Here's what I did:

• Bought a cheap Roto 9mm barrel from Sarco, about $45.00
  • Adjust extractor tension

That's it. The RIA 38 Super mag worked "well". I had an occassional mis-feed, so I bought a MetalForm 9mm mag - problem solved. I even used the Super recoil spring. Since the Roto barrel was drop in, 25 yard accuracy was not great, but for a plinker, it was acceptable.

My 2nd 1911 9mm used a Colt 38 Super as a starting platform. This one went on the wilder side using a match barrel/bushing and some other mods. I still have this one; sold the RIA, but only because I did a Colt conversion.

Dashunde

Thanks for the info guys, not finding any 38 Super RIA's going for cheap though..

Ideally, I wanted to round up a cheap-but-solid $350 basic "chassis", and start tinkering with it from there. But for the money, I'm probably better off just buying one thats ready-to-go.

Guess I'll grab a CZ instead, for now. Then maybe grab a STI or something down the road.

Last edited: