9mm 1911 for bride

Saint Dennis

My wife has arthritis and is unable to rack the slide on a .45 1911. Is this a lot easier on the 9mm 1911s? I thought of 38 super, but brass hard to find and expensive (so are the pistols). She tried Cathy Jackson's tecnique, but her hands just couldn't do it. She wants to try IDPA/IPSC and yes, she wants a 1911.

DaveInPA

Do you reload? Wouldn't loading .45 ACP ammo with a light powder charge and using a light recoil spring in your gun help without having to buy a new gun? The 1911s that are available in 9mm are generally pretty spendy.

SEMO Shooter

I would suggest proper slide racking technique may solve the problem. Have a firm grip on the pistol with shooting hand. Grab the top of the slide with all 4 fingers and thumb of the other hand, the thumb will be pointed toward the rear of the pistol. Push the pistol forward rather than pulling back on the slide. Is this Cathy Jackson's technique? If it is then your wife will probably need a different gun.

The error many make is trying to grip the rear of the slide between the thumb & finger only and then trying to pull the slide back.

My wife does not have strong hands and can easily rack the slide on any pistol.

Jim Watson

Dave has a good idea. I am in fact working with light loaded ammo to keep my .45s shooting with less discomfort. It will put me in IDPA ESP with the smallbores, which puts me at a slight disadvantage on magazine capacity, but I have some custom made 9 round magazines which help there. And I can always shoot a 9mm when the tenth round may make a difference.

A Springfield 9mm has a particularly soft recoil spring because of the resistance of the stiff ILS mainspring. It ought to be manageable if anything is.

Yes, SEMO, that is the technique recommended by Kathy Jackson on The Cornered Cat .com

It will help if she cocks the hammer first and gets the mainspring out of the way.

robctwo

I just bought the Les Baer PII in 9mm. With five extra mags it was over $2,000. There are a lot of folks talking about the STI Trojan, Kimber and SA 9mm, all around or just under $1,000. Mine came with a 15 lb spring. I have a 10 lb and will be fiddling around with light loads to see if I can get it to be reliable with a lighter recoil spring.

I wonder if you have a light spring to try on your .45. There is no difference between the .45 and 9mm as far as slide size and feel, so if she can rack the .45 with the light spring she will be able to rack the 9mm.

I'm getting arthritis in my fingers and shoulder, so understand where she's coming from.

For just a few more dollars you could get her a really nice Wilson. She does like guns better than jewelry, right?

Moe Howard

The Bersa is a good gun guys but if racking the slide is the problem the Bersa is certainly no improvement and the de-cocker is almost impossible to work even if you have strong hands.
If your wife wants a 1911 then the 9mm would be a good choice but will most likely be pricey and hard to find. I have only shot a couple but best I remember the slide was very easy to work. However I am kind of a gorilla so I probably not a good judge on the subject.

Have you tried the Browning High Powered 9mm? It was made shortly after the 1911 by the same designer. I know a few people with this weapon and they are very happy with it.

G. Freeman

I have carpal tunnel and ulnar neuropathy on both arms. I did have a BHP and it was very difficult to rack.

First of all, it's easier to rack the slide when the hammer is already cocked. That being said, a 1911 in 9mm will definitely be a lot easier to rack compared to other semi-autos. Recoil is also very easy to manage.

STI, Kimber, and Springfield makes full sized 1911's in 9mm but the SA's are hard to find right now.

STI would be on the top of my list. These full sized models usually use no more than a 12# recoil spring. SA uses an even lighter recoil spring. You can use just your fingertips to rack the slide.

chopz

in case you don't already know this, don't buy a .380. you can't use one to compete in idpa. 9mm or larger is required.

Saint Dennis

Thanks guys. I have a high power and they are right out for her. Unless they've changed, I doubt they would stand up to IDPA or IPSC anyhow. She is leaning toward the Ladyhawk by Nighthawk. I'm pushing her toward the Springfield Loaded (Price mainly). I would bet the safety/range officer would throw a fit if she cocked the hammer to rack the slide. It would most likely be a very short match for her.

belus

Captain Lawrence said:
Have you tried the Browning High Powered 9mm? It was made shortly after the 1911 by the same designer. I know a few people with this weapon and they are very happy with it.

While I love the BHP, if racking the slide is an issue I can't recommend it. It has a 17lb recoil spring and a 32lb mainspring. The only way my girlfriend can manipulate it is if she cocks the hammer first.

Since she focused on a 1911 for IDPA or IPSC, 9mm seems your best bet. I'm sure they're sprung much lighter if the slide weights the same. I unfortunately can't offer personal experience.

I'm not too familiar with the rules of either sport, but I've seen guns where the rear sight dovetail was used to hold a cocking handle after adding a red dot sight. You may also want to consider a .40S&W in order to qualify for major.

pix2403780468.jpg