9mm 1911 barrels.

Double Stack

I’m about to grab up a 38 super 1911 to convert it to 9mm, but I've noticed something I’m not sure of. Why aren’t 1911 9mm barrels ramped ?. Are all 9mm 1911 barrels none ramped, or just the ones i'm finding ?.
Does none ramping lead to feeding problems ?.

brandx

I don't think Colt ever made a ramped barrel in any caliber. You will probably have to go to an after market barrel and have the frame cut for the ramped barrel you buy. Or just use a nonramped barrel. My "Franken-9" is a combo of Essex frame,Caspian slide, stock Springfield barrel and a hodge-podge of small parts. It runs like a champ and shoots 2" groups(off a rest) at 25 yards with Win bulk ammo.

wjkuleck

A quick glance at Brownells' catalog shows Clark, Nowlin and Schuemann offering ramped 9mm barrels.

There are probably more.

Regards,

Walt

wjkuleck

PS

Of course, you won't be able to use a ramped barrel if you intend to switch from Super to 9x19, that is, have a two-caliber pistol.

Regards,

Walt
—who has a 9x23 & 38 Super combo

Double Stack

BrandX,
Thanks for the information. After reading that, I pulled out my Colt Government XSE too see for my self. You know what- you’re right. The barrel is polished quite a bit, but the feed ramp is attached to the frame. I feel like a dip ****.... Thanks for that, it’s been a while since I’ve taken down my Colt. I hardly ever shoot it.

Wjkuleck,
I’ve never heard of Brownells. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the info about not being able to go back and forth with the ramped barrel. Kinda makes the choice easy huu ?.

BigJimP

Some 1911 barrels, on guns chambered in .45 acp are ramped, and some are ramped on the frame. I've never figured out why either - but ramped barrels on 1911's chambered in .45 acp - seem to be common on alloy frame guns - but even that is not 100% for some reason.

Ramped barrels on 1911's chambered in 9mm are real common in my experience - I have a Wilson Combat protector 5" / a Les Baer monolith 5" / a Kimber tactical Pro (alloy frame) 4" all chambered in 9mm out of their shops / and on all those guns the 9mm barrels are ramped.

None of my 1911's chambered in .45 acp Wilson, Baer or Kimber have ramped barrels - but they're all 5" steel or stainless steel frames too.

wjkuleck

I’ve never heard of Brownells

Brownells is one of the two largest parts, accessories & tools houses in the country.

Note that there are two different protocols for modifying frames to accept the two different ramp designs. Or maybe it's three.

Oh, well.

Regards,

Walt

brandx

In my experience, there are two "standard" frame cuts for ramped barrels: Wilson/Nowlin or Clark/Para Ord. No doubt you can find a propietary cut for some barrel manufacturer if you look hard enough.
Once you cut a frame for a ramped barrel, you cannot use a non-ramped barrel, but you can use that frame for other calibers as long as you use a ramped barrel of the same design.
The use of a ramped or non-ramped barrel seems to be a matter of personal choice(except for 38Super/9mm Major power factor in IPSC/USPSA, pretty much a gotta have feature there).
I have been building 1911's for 21 years, in every caliber from 9x19 to 451 Detonics, including 38S&W(NOT 38 SPECIAL), in both configurations, from Officers to Long slide and I have not seen one I couldn't make run. The 1911 platform is very forgiving.:)

Jim Watson

including 38S&W(NOT 38 SPECIAL),

I'd like to know more about a .38 S&W 1911. I have seen plenty of .38 Special wadcutter conversions, but never a S&W. Kind of a novelty item, and people would whine about the price of ammunition, but it must be a neat gunsmithing exercise.

brandx

Jim, short version: it uses a 10mm slide, a modified 38super barrel and an OLD Springfield 9mm mag. I'll PM the details later.

Double Stack

BigJimP,
You are right on man. I never even thought about it tell this. Good info, and I appreciate it !.

Wjkuleck,
Thanks man. It looks like a Midwayusa.com but not as big. Would Midway be number one then ?. O and I’m going to stick with the none ramped barrel, so I can use the barrel the firearm comes with later on down the road.

BrandX,
21 years of 1911's- Awesome man !!. You say “Major Power factor in IPSC/USPSA”, and I can only figure that’s compatition shooting. Why is it a gotta have feature there ?.

Also, what would you say was a better barrel choice in the none ramped department. A ROTO with unknown steel used (sales rep couldn’t tell me the steel), or a Broached stainless steel one for double the coast ?. I guess I shouldn’t have said which one is better because that would be the stainless one. Really my question should have been- do you think the stainless barrel with Broached rifling is worth double the cost ?.

Thanks again BrandX.

Last edited:

brandx

D-Stack, sorry for just throwing unfamiliar terms at you:eek:. I have been competing in USPSA(United States Pratical Shooting Assoc.) for 21 yrs and sometimes just assume everybody knows what I am talking about. IPSC is International Pratical Shooting Confederation. I started building 1911's when I started shooting USPSA matches, hence the 21 yrs coincidence.
"Major power factor" refers to one of our scoring parameters. I won't go into detail other than to say that when running a 38Super(or variants) or 9X19 at Major power levels we are exceeding factory velocities and pressures. A ramped(fully supported chamber) barrel is necessary to do this safely.
As for a roto-forged barrel, I have never used one, so I'm no help there. I have always used one of the major after market manufacturers and have only had one bad one. If you are going to stick to factory ammo, a roto barrel would probably work fine.

KyJim

Brandx --

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been thinking of having a 9mm built. Do you think a ramped barrel is necessary in using 9mm +p or +p+ loads in a 1911? I will not be using this pistol for competition -- strictly for range use and occasional carry.

Double Stack

BrandX,
What state are you in ?. I’ve always wanted to compete, but I can’t find anything like that in oregon. Sounds like fun. Did you ever get sponsored or anything cool like that ?.

Good to know about the barrels and thanks. I found a stainless barrel for $99 bucks, and (after really thinking about it) I decided to pick that one up !. I didn’t want to skimp on the accuracy department. Now I can’t wait to grab up a new 1911, so I’m not just staring at a shiny barrel.

KyJim,
You didn’t highjacking the thread man- hell it’s the same topic. What kind of 38 super are you picking up ?.

brandx

DoubleStack

I'm in Dallas TX.
To find USPSA matches in your area go to uspsa.org and click on the club finder.
Sponsorship? No, even though I've been competing a long time, I never seem to have enough time to practice enough to get good enough to attract a sponsor.
Glad you found a barrel you like. Keep in mind that your super mag(s) may or may not work with 9mm ammo. If they don't, just pick up some 9mm mags.

KyJim

Double Stack,

I was thinking of getting a 9mm built, possibly by Fusion which is owned by the former president of Dan Wesson. Since I don't compete, I don't see the need for the more expensive .38 Super ammo.

Double Stack

BrandX,
Thanks for the info. I’m going to check out what they have going on here in oregon. Sponsor or not it’s still fun to shoot. I’m not worried about the mags, as the 1911 I’m getting only comes with one mag anyway.

KyJim,
Man I checked out that Fusion place, and wow they are pricy !. Enjoy that. I”m going with a RIA cheap O plenker with a decent barrel.