9mm 1911 ammo choices? What do yours like?

Venom1956

So I have my PM9 much to my lady's delight. (mine too!)

I am curious what target ammo your 9mm 1911 likes? mind seems to be so so with WWB and bulk Federal ammo. But wow with some S&B +P my gun becomes a monster! Recoil is 'lessened,' groups are tighter, follow ups are faster! I feel this is due to the slide cycling quicker. I usually HATE any +P ammo too.

So I thought I would try some other ammo that others have had success with? Perhaps I can find one that works even better! All my ammo regular or +Ps are 115grn so I am curious about heavier rounds also.

* I remember I also haven't gotten any pics of the DW family... I will. If you guys want. =)

Last edited:

warningshot

I am always looking for improvement

My personal Glock 17 & 26, Sig 226 & 228, Beretta 92FS has functioned every Winchester & Federal & Remingtion factory round feed into it, 100%. Is that good enough? Now if I could only get the same POA- POI on all bullet weights.

gc70

Other than normal POA-POI differences due to bullet weight, I have not noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy based on brand or bullet style in my 9mm Government Model.

Mrgunsngear

Other than normal POA-POI differences due to bullet weight, I have not noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy based on brand or bullet style in my 9mm Government Model.

Ditto. I feed mine a steady diet of Brown Bear---not 1 malfunction through over 1k using Wilson mags. I see no reason to use anything else for practicing....

IMAG0665.jpg

rock185

Hello Venom, My PM-9 displays excellent accuracy and 100% reliability with my most-used factory practice/plinking load, the Winchester "Q4318" NATO 124 grain ball. I use the NATO ball in all my 9MMs. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a malfunction in any of my 9MMs, pistol, revolver or carbine, while using this ammo. I have chronographed the NATO in a bunch of different guns. It runs about 50-100+ fps faster than most regular SAAMI spec ammo of the same bullet weight. I have other 9MM 1911s, and extraction and ejection is sometimes a little lazy with some of the economy plinking ammo. Not so with the NATO, it just works in everything. I suspect the Winchester NATO ballistics might be similar to the +P ammo you mentioned. The 124 grain Federal American Eagle ball is the lightest loaded factory 9MM that I can ever remember chronographing. I've probably chronographed the 115 grain Federal ball too, but I'd have to check my notes on this. BTW, I have shot, and chronographed, several different manufacturers standard, +P and +P+ , ball, flat point, hollow point, 115-147 grain ammo in my PM-9, Kimber Target II and custom Springfield, all with 5" barrels. All of these function reliably in all my 9MM 1911s. If you're interested in what kind of velocities various factory 9MM ammo actually produces in the PM-9 and similar 1911s, let me know. I certainly haven't chronographed everything available in 9mm, who could, but I have tested a lot, and may be able to find the info in my notes...ymmv

Strafer Gott

I need to hunt down some of the nato ammo for my RIA 1911. It has a really low round count, and a relatively new spring. Regular WWB doesn't even unlock the action half the time. I usually shoot my reloads, which run flawlessly. They aren't anything special. I load 115gr Berry over a moderate charge of AA#5.

Mrgunsngear

I need to hunt down some of the nato ammo for my RIA 1911. It has a really low round count, and a relatively new spring. Regular WWB doesn't even unlock the action half the time. I usually shoot my reloads, which run flawlessly. They aren't anything special. I load 115gr Berry over a moderate charge of AA#5.

FWIW, I got a box of +p+ Federal JHPs as a gift and didn't know what the hell to do with them. I called Ivan at Armscor to see if they'd be okay to run in my RIA 1911 Tac; he said I could run them all day without issue. I've shot about 30 through it without a hiccup. I'm not recommending it, just pointing out the gun can handle it.

SundownRider

I came across the magic reload a few years back, and it's a dream in every gun I've tried. My RIA's and Kimber ( both 1911 9mm's ) shot great with no malfunctions at all.

GaryH

I've been shooting factory reloads from Freedom Munitions and Jack Ross thru my RIA gov't model. Over 3000 rounds without a hiccup. I've also shot a couple hundred hollow points thru it to make sure it feeds. Again, no problems. I shoot mostly at 7yds and 50ft, and occasionally at 25yds. The ammo is more than adequate for what I do.