9mm 115gr FMJ W231

QBall45

I'm about to start a new venture. I've been loading 45ACP and 223 for almost 2 years now and now its time to look at 9mm.

I know the advice about load manuals and mfgr websites. Been there. I've now got my basic start load info etc.

Here's what I'm thinking.
115gr FMJ
4.1gr-4.7gr W231
1.169 max OaL

Crimp measurement?

Looking for lnsight as to the 9's sweet spot with w231. I know that I'll start low and work up.

This is for a S&W with a 3-4 inch barrel. Maybe also a 92fs.

rc

9mm is easy to reload, but know that you max load is lower than the older max of something like 5 grains. Maybe the difference between old 231 and HP38 that are now the "same". 231 does work fine as does Universal Clays for that bullet weight and caliber. It's not as broud a powder as 231 but works fantastic in 9mm and 40 at about 35000psi. 5 grains of Universal with 115 win JHP gave me between 1150 and 1200fps with standard deviations from 7 to 20.

Another thing I noticed about what you wrote is your planning to load to max overall length. This tends to bind in magazines and cause jams. If you look at factory loads cheap 115grain 9mm ball is often loaded as short as 1.135 or so. If you go much past 1.155 you may have problems. Check a factory round and use that to set your dies for crimp and overall length. Then your first loads should work like a champ. rc

Ozzieman

I agree with rc on your COL, several of my manuals show for FMJ 124 GR a COL of 1.100.
I use the Hornady 115 XTP and my pet is a light 4.4 of W231. I don’t have a crono so I don’t have a FPS but it’s rated at a little over 1000 fps.
Its clean, works well in my Glock 26 and including my Beretta Cougar and a Storm Carbine. With that load the brass last a long time and its cheep. Best of all, of the thousands that I have loaded with that same load I have never had a failure to function in any those guns.
As for crimp, I haven’t used a roll/factory crimp for autos in 30 years, if you don’t have one get a taper crimp die and use a firm crimp, its also one of the reasons I have had so little problems with my 9’s.
P.S. On the 92, that load was a little light, seemed the 92 that I had several years ago needed a little more power to function 100%.
THe following is a good location for loads and COL
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Last edited:

QBall45

Thanks for the insight. 9 is new to me. 45acp I know what to do with. But, 9mm is just something new. The learning curve shoyld be shorter that it was starting out with 45.

jepp2

Recognize that many of the 9mm OAL figures are to allow the loaded round to properly function in a relatively few imported 9mm pistols. I tend to load with a length much closer to the figure you listed. But check your pistol for proper function.

The shorter OAL increases the potential for a huge pressure spike with any setback that occurs during chambering. Pressure can be much less and velocity will be lower with the longer OAL.

QBall45

I finally got around to loading some 9mm.

I used 115gr fmj's CCI SPP. And 4.4gr of W231. OAL was set at 1.15. Lee Factory Crimp Die was used to crimp.

This load functioned flawlessly. Accuracy was combat accurate. Group size was just under 3" at about 25". I shot this load in a firearm that I had not shot in about 15+ years. So I thought the group size was not bad. I'm sure I can shrink the group size in time. Though its good enough of a load for my Dad to use for his annual qualification. It made me smile when Dad shot this load on the range this week. He shot up what I loaded and then ran some factory loads. When he got done, he said he was not able to tell the differance.

Thanks all for the help.

rc

If you don't have any pressure signs, you should be able to bump that load up a bit. I'm going on memory here so double check withe winchester data, but I believe about 4.8 or 5.1 is max. I'd bump up to 4.8-5 grains. You'll notice less smoke and better groups when you run the case full in 9mm.