9mm 115gr --> 124gr

Contrast Man

Hi all,

For reloading 9mm, I use Berry's plated 115gr flat nose bullets. I went to go order some yesterday and it doesn't look like they make those anymore....BUT they do have a 124gr flat nose. Intuition tells me that the small weight difference shouldn't make that much of a difference to my current load, just a small adjustment in powder, maybe 0.1-0.2gr, and an adustment to the seating die to keep COL consistent. I'd just like everyone's opinion on the matter and if anyone has run into this sort of thing before.

Thanks!

Xfire68

When using different components you should work up your load. Depending on the powder you are using and if your 115g load was close to max or not would be factors on "if" you can use the same amount of powder?

SHR970

.1gr-.2gr ???? I think you need to look at some published data and re-evaluate your assumption. With W231 the difference is about .5 gr., AA#2 is .3gr., AA#7 is .6gr. Your assumption is the difference between known safe in your gun to +P+ if not unsafe as all get out depending on the powder used.

9mm is a small case working at higher pressures. Small changes can make big differences real quick.

GJSchulze

There is no reason to make an assumption like that. 124 gr bullets are common so you should easily be able to find the correct load data online if it's not in your manual. The OAL should be a bit longer. You provide no information about your load except for the bullet. No one can safely or ethically give you any other advice.

LE-28

just a small adjustment in powder, maybe 0.1-0.2gr, and an adustment to the seating die to keep COL consistent.

The 124 gr is longer than the 115gr as I'm sure you already know. So if you keep the OAL the same with such a high pressure load you may be going over the max without knowing it.

9mm is really sensitive to pressure and with the heavier bullet you have less space in the case.

What powder are you using so we have no confusion?

kerreckt

Check the published data to be certain. I know I load both the 115gr and the 124gr. Berry's using the same charge weight of powder. I am loading plinking rounds using mid level data. I always check the powder manufacturers info or published data to be certain whenever I change bullets and/or bullet weight.

Contrast Man

Thanks everybody. I don't have data on hand for the 124 gr flat nose, but I do have data for 124 hollow point which I know berrys does make so instead of guessing with a new bullet, I'll rework with this published data. I'm very relieved I decided to post before doing anything rash or dumb.

GJSchulze

I do have data for 124 hollow point

That is probably safe to use. A hollow point will be longer than the same weight flat nose and most likely will have more bearing surface which probably means its powder charge would be a tad lower than for a flat point. Still, start low and you'll be OK.

Contrast Man

Oops, should have specified. Instead of even bothering with the 124 gr flat nose I plan on ordering the 124 gr hollow points from Berry's. Thanks for the input though!

Jim243

I'm very relieved I decided to post before doing anything rash or dumb.

It is very frustrating sometimes when you can not find an exact match (data) for a load you want to put together (I know).

But it is much safer to start from scratch when developing a new load with different components. Even when I am putting together a set of components that I have used before, but has been sometime since I did it, I will start over as if it is the first time and develop the load from scratch.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim