986 9mm range time...

BOBA FETT

i took my new 986 to the range this past weekend.....it shot real good,it was more snappy than i thought it would be but very accurate and controlable....i loaded the moonclips and unloaded them very easy by hand as well...all in all a great gun,the price set me back a little though... :(

jglsprings

here it is..

Hmmm.... is that a "selfie"?

Nice gun, It was my understanding that they were made with competition in mind. Large frame, manageable caliber, titanium cylinder(?) to handle fast double action shooting.

Should be a lot of fun to shoot.

BOBA FETT

lol,i used my computer camera.....yea its fun to shoot...i have a 9mm semi auto as well so i can use ammo for both and dont have to worry about another caliber...

FloridaGuy

I just purchased mine. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. It took my LGS 6 months to get one in for me. Looking forward to shooting it this weekend.

Venom1956

im so jealous my 929 is still on order... part of me is glad. Either that means the demand is huge = good. Or mines gonna be like one of 10. ;)

smee78

That is a good looking gun, I would like to get some time behind one. What is the recoil compared to? My S&W 940 is a great little j frame but the 9mm in a full size gun would be fun. I juess it would be like my Ruger Speed Six but with a few more rounds and a longer barrel.

Cosmodragoon

I'm supposing you could shoot .380 in that as easily as people shoot .38s in a .357. (I don't usually run shorter cartridges through my revolvers but I like knowing that I can.) Does anyone have experience running .380 through one of these?

TANZER099

Extremely happy with mine. I'm pretty sure it will be a keeper.

Attachments

• 986 PIC resized (2).pdf
    689.9 KB · Views: 40

357 Terms

Hmmm.... is that a "selfie"?

LOL. for a second I thought that was the toilet behind the gun.

it shot real good,it was more snappy than i thought it would be but very accurate and controlable..

I wonder how the recoil compares to shooting .38's out of my 627, probably a tad more.

Nice revolver!

I agree that .380 ACP should not be fired in a S&W 986. Cosmodragoon - check your reloading manual for cartridge dimensions. You'll see that they're quite dissimilar.

James K

Member In Memoriam
.380 ACP will drop too far into a 9mm chamber and the firing pin won't reach it. It is not at all the same situation as .38 Special in a .357 Magnum chamber, since .357 is simply a longer version of the .38 Special.

Jim

Cosmodragoon

I used to own a Bodyguard in .380 but for every feature I loved, I hated another. Since trading it away, I've disavowed myself of the caliber and don't have any cartridges lying around. I've been considering a revolver in 10mm/.40 and I wondered if it was possible in 9mm/.380. Thanks for setting me straight, guys. As always, this forum is fun and education. :)