98 Mauser stock made by Herter's?

Elkins45

I only read two firearms forums, TFL and THR, so forgive me if you're also a High Road member who had to read the same question twice :)

I picked up a nice 98 Mauser rebarreled to 30-06 at a gunshow last weekend. It has a really racy Weatherby inspired stock which is wearing a Herter's plastic buttplate. Did Herter's ever sell complete replacement stocks for 98 Mausers or is this just a Herter's buttplate on someone else's custom stock?

It's a nice stock, but not for a lefty like me! The rollover cheekpiece is definitely not lefty friendly!

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
Herter's sold virtually everything under their name

A lot of it was made by other people, some special for Herters, some just sold as Herter's.

Herter's sold everything from full finished stocks to complete unfinished blanks. I don't have any way to know who actually made/finished your stock, but since it has a Herter's buttplate, odds are it was a Herter's stock.

PawPaw

I'd bet that it's probably a Herter's stock. They sold everything from raw blanks to completely finished. My Dad re-stocked a Winchester Model 12 with Herter's blanks. It was semi-inletted to fit the action and he spent the better part of a spring and summer whittling that stock and forearm to fit the way he wanted it to fit. It turned in to a nice stock, beautiful wood on a fine old shotgun.