94 30-30 not safe?

Longshot4

I have a pre WWII 94. It was reblued before In the 50s and the hammer kneeling was damaged. I suspect this is a not unusual. Also the firing pin spring has been replaced in the 60s do to me dry firing it when I received it. I recall at least 2 to 3 times that it fired when lowering the hammer. I added a device to the hammer to improve grip but it is missing. Now my son has it.
My question is what is the best way to make it safe.

natman

Have a gunsmith check the hammer. It's important that a 94 hammer have good checkering to offer a solid grip. It's also critical that the half cock notch be in good condition. It shouldn't be to difficult to find a new 94 hammer.

g.willikers

Put a finger between hammer and receiver when lowering the hammer, like a six gun.
Gripping the hammer between thumb and finger, while gently lowering it, instead of just trying to hold it by the top, works, too.
Anyhow, that's how I do it and so far haven't had a NG.

Blindstitch

I second checking out the hammer.

When it went off lowering the hammer were you lowering it to half cock or all the way down?

You probably want to pick up another hammer extension or just buy another good condition hammer and install it.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The proper way to put that rifle on half cock is to carefully lower the hammer all the way, then fully release the trigger and pull the hammer back until the sear clicks into the half-cock notch.

If you try lowering the hammer into the half-cock notch, there is a good chance of having the sear catch on the edge of the notch, giving what is called a false safety. The hammer can easily fall from that position and, while it is unlikely the gun will fire, it is a dangerous condition.

BTW, there is no firing pin spring in a 94 Winchester, so I am a bit confused on that.

Jim

Longshot4

It sounds like the hammer will need replacing with a newer type with the straight cross serrations. I suspect the hammer spring may also be too heavy. Dose any one have specifications on the proper... tension?

It fires when lowering the hammer?

Did the hammer slip out from your thumb? Both times?

If so, I'd say that was operator's error.