92FS vs PX4

ADIDAS69

I have the opportunity to pick up a CX4 and i am stuck on which model to get with regards to its corresponding pistol.

Does anyone care to opine as to the superior option? 92FS or PX4? the big issue for me would be barrel threading and over all accuracy, size and weight aren't really factors in my decision making.

-C

LockedBreech

The 92FS is a far more field-proven design. The PX4 is lighter with higher standard capacity for caliber. The PX4 recoils softer (to me) despite the increased weight of the 92FS. My .40 PX4 feels almost identical to my 9mm 92FS. The 92 is a bit easier to shoot accurately due to the extra inch of barrel length. Also, I think the 92 looks a heck of a lot nicer. Accessories are easier to find for the 92.

I love both, both have run 100% for me, both would make a fine companion to the corresponding CX4.

cslinger

92fs.

I have a cx4 and px4 and love them. Cx4 set up for Px4 mags No complaints with either. That being said the 92 gives you more options, cheaper. I also have a 92 and it's fantastic.

Tomac

Both are good, handle/fire both and choose the one that feels/shoots best for you.
PX4 has multiple backstraps, a more straight-back recoil impulse, is easier to add night sights to and is a little more forgiving of running it dry (full-length rails on the 92 need to be well-lubed).
92 has a longer sight radius, no backstraps but you can choose different grip panels, extra mags are cheaper, greater variety of holsters/accessories.
Tomac

Don P

92FS. By far a much better gun. I have 2 92 FS's, 1 USA, 1 Italian made. Had, note had 2 PX4's, 1 in 9 mm and 1 in 40S&W. Both the PX4's are trade off.
9 mm had slide to frame fit issues, decocker would not work from the left side lever with a full magazine in. (weird being both levers are on the same shaft)
40S&W had one hell of a trigger sting after 2 magazines being shot. Trigger finger would go numb from the sting.

Guv

I have a INOX 92, INOX 96 and a PX4 SubCompact 40S&W. Both the 92 and 96 are dead sexy, the storm not so much. I do think if you are inclined to shoot heavy or +P type ammo the Storm would be more durable. As far as shooting is concerned all 3 rate about the same, A+.:)

ShipWreck

I have owned a few PX4s over the years... Two 9mms ones and one in 40 cal. I prefer the Beretta 92 more, though :)

4-pack1_zpsed0411ec.jpg~original

ShipWreck

I owned a few Berettas in the 1990s. Beretta changed the dustcover in the early 2000s - and they also changed the backstrap. There is a slight indentation that brings your hand ever so slightly closer to the trigger. They did not do this to the M9 frame.

Anyway - that 1 change made the gun go from being just a tiny bit too big for my small hands to perfect. No other gun feels as right in my hands as a 92FS with the hogue grip panels.

Bart Noir

As pointed out above, I also think the Px4 has reduced muzzle flip due to rotating barrel design, and (sometimes) a trigger slap. I sold mine yet do not plan to sell my 92F and 92F Compact.

The Px4 also has a dinky safety, smaller than those on previous Beretta models. I read, one place only, that a police force in the eastern US specified that the older larger safeties be installed for the ones they were buying. That may just be internet rumor but it makes sense to me.

Bart Noir

ADIDAS69

Got it

So what I'm hearing is that I should just buy both setups. SWEET!

Does anybody know whether you can thread a PX4 barrel?

Guv

Yes ADIDAS69 you should. What sold me on the Px4 was the similar operation of both guns (92 & Px4). I find myself using the Px4 more often because I don't worry about it as much.

87samurai

I have both the 92FS and the PX4 9mm FS and a CX4 carbine for each one. You can get 30rd mags for the CX4-92 model and only 20rd mags for the CX4-PX4 model. As far as shooting I like the 92fs and my wife prefers the PX4 model-recoil and slide operation.

bt380

That is basically a Ford Chevy question. Both are good guns. Lots of folks happy with either one. Like trucks, there will always be a lemon. This is true of any brand.

220lover

If I planned on shooting a lot. I would go px4

If I wanted a safe queen I could pass down I would go 92fs

And that is not to mean I don't think the 92 can take it. I know it can. But I think the polymer px4 will last longer, require less parts long term, and requires less lubrication.

Don P

If I planned on shooting a lot. I would go px4

If I wanted a safe queen I could pass down I would go 92fs

Like I've stated many times all opinions and I disagree with the above. Owning both pistols hands down the 92 is a far superior shooter. As far as making a current production gun a "safe queen" is stretching things a bit far, again in my opinion. I think it would take far more time than any of us are going to be around to be deemed a safe queen. All this is worth just what you paid for .02