922(o) invalidated by Illinois Court

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Here we have the case of U.S. v. James Vest (Case No. 06-cr-30011-DRH), US District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, HERNDON, District Judge.

In this case, an Illinois State Policeman is being prosecuted by the US Government (BATF&E) for unlawful possession of a machine gun in violation of 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(o) and 924(a)(2) and for possessing a machine gun transferred in violation 26 U.S.C. §§ 5812, 5861(b) and 5871.

The defendant has made the pretrial motions to dismiss on the grounds that the laws are unconstitutionally vague "as applied" to this case.

During the course of the briefings (and a careful reading of the 26 page Dismissal) the sole objection of the Government was that the officer had the weapon at home. It was noted by the Government that the officer never used the weapon for anything other than official police business. The Government was caught in its own complicity when questioned by the court as to certain hypotheticals. i.e., that Vest, as a Lead Rifle Instructor had lawful authority to issue like weapons to other officers on a firing range, who could not be prosecuted, but that his superiors had no lawful authority to issue the weapon to him. That as the Equipment Officer, he had lawful authority to issue like weapons to the Illinois TRT (which were kept at home) but that his superiors had no lawful authority to issue said weapon to Vest.

This led the court to believe that the Government could, and in this case did, arbitrarily prosecute any officer. A requisite for vagueness.

Another argument of the Government was that the institution itself was the holder of the weapon and not the individual actors. The Court itself demolished this argument, as who is the lawful authority of the institution, if not the actors themselves! Under this interpretation, even a BATF&E agent who takes possession of an unlawful weapon then becomes an instant felon as the agent is not the lawful authority, under the Governments definition. Again, another criteria to "as applied" vagueness.

A look at the offending statutes as supplied by the court:
THE LAW ENFORCEMENT EXCEPTION – 26 U.S.C. § 922(o)(2)(A)

18 U.S.C. § 922(o)
reads (emphasis added):

(o)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machine gun.
(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to--
(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B)
any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machine gun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.
and
26 U.S.C. §§ 5861(b) and (d)

26 U.S.C. § 5861
provides, in pertinent part:

It shall be unlawful for any person–
(b) to receive or possess a firearm transferred to him in violation of the provisions of this chapter; or
(d) to receive or possess a firearm which is not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record;
In the above, the Court noted that the Law Enforcement Exemption of 922(o) was not to be found in the registration section of the NFA. Yet another test of vagueness met.

The court inquired:
In the end analysis, putting oneself in the place of Trooper Vest, who is required to arm himself with an automatic weapon from time to time, taking the Boyce test into account and applying this particular statute, how is he ever to know when he is legally possessing any automatic weapon, whether the one at issue or any other? He is not the State Police, the entity, as the Government suggests is required. Nor does the statute give him guidance as to upon whom he can legally rely for authority without fear of prosecution. Boyce suggests he is at peril, if the statute is valid. If he refuses to possess an automatic weapon on his job, is he insubordinate and subject to discipline? What is he to do?

In conclusion:
The Court finds that all three Counts against Vest as stated in the Superceding Indictment (Doc. 30) must be dismissed on the grounds that § 922(o)(2)(A), and §§ 5861(b) and (d), are unconstitutionally vague as applied to Vest for his possession of a machine gun while serving as a police officer, equipment officer and/or lead rifle instructor for the Illinois State Police. As such, Defendant Vest’s Motions to Dismiss the Superceding Indictment (Docs. 38 & 55), based on the asserted grounds of unconstitutional vagueness “as applied” to him, are hereby GRANTED. Counts I, II, and III are hereby DISMISSED with prejudice.
The Government will undoubtedly appeal (7th Circuit), but may not get any further than they did with the District Court. Since on appeal, they can not use any new arguments, only embellish the arguments used at trial, it leaves one to wonder what the Government may hope to accomplish!

What does this mean for the everyday citizen? Not a whole lot. But I suspect, any chink in the armor of 922(o) is a win for us all, nonetheless!

Since the District Court was reduced to ascertaining legislative intent and quoted passages of the Senate in enacting the FOPA, it may well be that such can be done in another well crafted and not too dissimilar case.

MrApathy

no not all all.

lookup laws regarding Law Enforcement and the immunity they get with the job.

Law Enforcement in most if not all the Country have expressed rights on firearms. its a privileged class.

VUPDblue

[While any 'chink' in the armor is a small victory for us all, I have to doubt the usefulness of this void for vagueness finding as it applies to non LEO citizens. The language in question is based upon the LEO exemption and posession by agents of state government and the definition of what exactly IS and agent. I feel that the laws of 922(o) concerning civillian posession of a machinegun are quite clear, even moreso than the laws concerning agents and LEO's. But hey, we can still hope, right?

MrApathy said:
Law Enforcement in most if not all the Country have expressed rights on firearms. its a privileged class.
I will take that as being tongue-in-cheek. Priviledged, I don't think so! I think of it as more of a 'perk' than a priviledge. In circumstances where automatic weapons are necessary to fulfill a LEO's duty to protect the citizenry such as yourself why would you want to restrict any advantage that they might afford themselves? They are tools necessary for the job. Just because you think of them as recreation doesn't mean that everyone does. The LEO exemption is there for a reason, and it is not in the spirit of the law to prosecute Officer Vest for a technical violation of 922(o) when he was only fulfilling his duty. This was what the courts found, and I believe this to be the correct decision.

I do, however, forsee this possibly coming up if anyone is ever held for illegal posession of a MG that is registered to a Trust or Corporation. This is a popular way to register NFA items to get around the CLEO certification, but defining officers of a corporation that exists solely to posess NFA items might get a little legally dicey.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Mr. Apathy, if Law Enforcement has such immunity, then please tell me why this State Trooper was ever arrested in the first place?

What is it that the BATF is trying to prove?

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
VUPDblue, at contention is also what constitues "under the authority of..."

Laws like 922(o) appear to fly in the face of the Miller ruling. In this, I believe any chink in that armor is a good thing.

MrApathy

to keep appearances of law and order. plain and simple.

whatever you gotta tell yourself. your obviously not keeping up on reality.

guns are banned in Chicago and Washington D.C.

give anyone 10 guesses on who is allowed to have guns?
which class of citizens would have expressed rights under law in those area's
solely because they job in what area?

VUPDblue

I think I'm in touch with reality;) I also know where guns are banned. D.C. and Chi-Town also have some of the highest crime rates in the nation. Be that as it may, I still don't think that cops have it any better than ordinary folk. If I was issued an automatic weapon, it would still be the property of the department and I would face diciplinary action if I used it recreationally on my own. Just because one has a badge does not guarantee him or her any more or less gun rights than civillians. I have several NFA weapons and the procurement process is not any easier/different because I happen to be behind a badge 40 hours a week. There are no expressed ownership rights to guns for cops. Most don't own the guns that they carry while on the job even. I don't know the SOP for the DCPD or the CPD but if they are required to carry off-duty then they are required to act if need be when off duty too.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Mr. Apathy said:
to keep appearances of law and order. plain and simple.

Mr. Apathy, I don't think you understand a thing about this particular case. Your remark above, is a complete non-sequitur.

James Vest is an Illinois State Policeman. He had authorization from his superiors to possess the M4 in question. How is arresting this officer, who has lawful authorization to possess the M4, keeping the "appearances of law and order?"

The rest of your remarks completely contradict your initial statements, as no one has even made the accusation that the M4 is this officers personal weapon.

VUPDblue

Baby steps indeed. I would like to, at the very least, see another amnesty. This time it should last more like a year (anything more than a month is a necessity). Seniors and Baby Boomers are dying off in large numbers and a great many are veterans with 'war trophys' that have been stashed in attics and basements for 60 years. These are artifacts, plain and simple, and now their only option is to have them turned over to ATF for destruction. What a way to deal with pieces of our American history...:mad: At least that would be the first 'baby step' in getting the GCA lifted.

Without going thru the thousands of pages....

....of the government's case....was the weapon in question in a place where it should have been? What was it doing in his home? Was it his personal weapon? I'm a bit confused here as to what the issue is...:confused:

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
From the Dismissal (emphasis, mine):
At the time he was initially questioned by an ATF agent and later arrested, Vest was working as an Illinois State Trooper, serving as the lead rifle instructor for the Illinois State Police, District 11 Headquarters (Doc. 62, p. 3). He is currently suspended from duty and remains on administrative leave (Id.). Vest has been with the Illinois State Police since December, 1989 (Doc. 62, Ex. 1 - Affidavit of James V. Vest, ¶ 1). Prior to becoming the lead rifle instructor, Vest was assigned as the full time assistant to the Team Leader of the Region V (south) Tactical Response Team (“TRT” but sometimes referred to as the “SWAT” team), in March, 1998, serving as the equipment officer (Id. at ¶ 3). It was during the time of his assignment as equipment officer, on July 10, 1998, that Vest ordered the machine gun at issue in this criminal case – a Colt M16A2E M4 automatic rifle from Botach Tactical (Id. at ¶ 4, Ex. 1-B).

Although the transfer records appear to indicate that the machine gun was registered to the Illinois State Police, the Government bases its prosecution upon the theory that Vest allegedly “illegally utilized Illinois State Police letterhead to compose a letter to obtain the . . . machine gun,” as well as “illegally utilized an Illinois State Police Tax Exception Letter in conjunction with the illegal[ly] composed letter on the ISP letter head” (Doc. 21, Ex. 2, p. 2 - ATF Investigation Report). Accordingly, the Government contends Vest lacked authority to purchase the machine gun on behalf of the Illinois State Police, and therefore illegally possessed the weapon.
Vest has stated that at no time was the weapon used for anything other than official police business and the Government does not dispute that statement.

Now it is just an assumption on my part, based upon my own knowledge of rural police, that Vest is in trouble because he keeps the weapon at home, while off-duty, in case he is called out for TRT duty. It is this that the BATF seems to have a problem with.

VUPDblue

Antipitas said:
It is this that the BATF seems to have a problem with.
And it is also why the law is vague and may be applied arbitrarily. I know several SRT, SWAT etc... guys who's SOP is to keep their special weapons with them at all times, ie: in their cruisers or in their home (secured) while their cruisers are parked in their driveways or on their street.

shaggy

I haven't had time to read this one yet, but my initial reaction is that it may be a baby steep forward, or it could backfire. Seems the government's main issue is with the proper delegation of authority to possess the weapons by the entity which legally owns them. If thats the case, I would think they could plug that hole fairly easily by promulgating a rule requiring a LE agency to make available to, or keep on file with, the NFA Branch a list of all LEOs authorized to use and possess the weapons specifically registered to the LE agency (i.e. officers on the TRT), and a seperate list of personnel authorized to possess unregistered/contraband weapons discovered and confiscated in the course of their duties (i.e. a list of all LEO in the agency). For some NFA owners, this could be where things backfire. Consider the case of NFA weapons held by individuals as corporate assets. The ability to loan and possess the guns by numerous people (usually stockholders, directors, or officers), was one of the benefits of corporate ownership. So long as they are "authorized" by the corporation to posses the NFA weapons, there is no paperwork to be filed. There is also no fingerprinting or CLEO certification requirement with the form 4 for a corporate owner of NFA weapons. If BATFE now promulgates a rule requiring disclosure of LE officers who are authorized to possess the department's weapons, they could just as easily require the same, if not more (fingerprints and CLEO cert., perhaps?) of persons authorized to possess a corporation's weapons.

VUPDblue

VUPDblue said:
I do, however, forsee this possibly coming up if anyone is ever held for illegal posession of a MG that is registered to a Trust or Corporation. This is a popular way to register NFA items to get around the CLEO certification, but defining officers of a corporation that exists solely to posess NFA items might get a little legally dicey.

That's what I'm talkin' about!