9200 vs 1187

pawcatch

I thinking of buying a defense type semi auto shotgun,Either a mossberg 9200 jungle gun or a remington 1187.I've always been fond of mossbergs and leaning towards the 9200 "any suggestions".

NJW

I have always been fond of Remingtons and strongly reccomend the the 11-87. I have boht 1100's and 11-87's and they have given me great service. Don't hear much about the Mossberg autos?

NJW in AZ

opusxx

you should at least consider a Beretta 1201FP.
fast as a benelli
tough as a remington
looks as nice as a farbam
cheap as a mossberg.

I picked mine up for 450 but i'v seen them new for 550.

GGGLOCK

I had the opportunity to shoot a few rounds through an unmodified 9200 in a shotgun training class this weekend...being gas operated, I expected a big difference in felt recoil from my Benelli...alas, I couldn't tell the difference w/ Federal H132. Also, the instructor mentioned something about needing two hands to manipulate it during loading; one hand to load the shells, and another hand to work the (bolt release?).

mib2000

As a former, briefly, owner of a Mossberg 9200A1 Jungle Gun, if you are set on an autoloader, I would urge you in the direction of the Remington 11-87 ... or, a Benelli, if you can afford it. (You could pick one up used, to get the price down.) Both would serve you well.

I was swayed by the glossy ads for the Mossberg, as well as a couple positive reviews in the gun comix early after the Jungle Gun's release. Ah, well, live and learn. You don't hear a whole lot about the 9200A1 anymore, or even see the ads. In my opinion, there're good reasons for that...

GGGlock mentioned the loading/bolt closure issue with the Jungle Gun. Very UN-ergonomic; tactical administration of the shotgun is quite difficult normally, let alone under stress.

Additionally, the gun is comparatively heavy -- as if the average defensive shotgun didn't weigh enough already. Mine did not reliably cycle target and field loads (an important, inexpensive ammo option for practice and competition). Only would digest heavy game loads and buck. If you want to customize the gun to better fit your needs, there did not seem to be a lot on the market for it, whereas there is plenty for the 11-87 and Benelli. And did I mention the 9200A1 was expensive? (I paid $525 a year ago.)

The last straw for me with the Jungle Gun was when the shell carrier twisted during routine use in a three-gun tactical match, rendering it inoperable. Shipped it to Mossberg; they courteously repaired it and promptly shipped it back; and I traded it in at the gun shop the next day.

I'm now very happy with my Remington 870HD pump gun. Even more so after having Vang Comp Systems work it over.

Regardless of what you choose, if you need pro work on a defensive shotgun, I can strongly recommend them; check out www.vangcomp.com

I'm not going to apologize for the long post. Rather, I hope that my own frustrating and expensive experience helps someone else avoid a similar mistake. A mistake in my book, anyway.

Good luck.

------------------
Check chamber,
mib2000