91/30 question

Jeffenwulf

Ladies and gents that know more than I do (which should be most of you), I have a brief MN 91/30 question. I was at the range today and ran into another gent with 16 various M-N variants. He informed me that my rifle was an ex-sniper rifle. It's a 1942 Izhevsk rifle that I picked up at the local Big 5 for about $75. He pointed to the two holes in the left side of the chamber directly across from the ejection port and told me that those were for the scope that used to be attached. In addition, it has a wood splice that's 3/4" wide that runs along the top of the stock on the left side.

On the other hand, there's no serial number on the left side of the receiver except for that etched in by CAI, nor is bolt bent. I don't have another one to compare this against at this point and I didn't bother when I was out there with his rifles, I was more concerned about my new Ishapur 2A at the time. So what do I have here? Is it a plain 91/30 with an interesting splice mark or some sort of retired sniper rifle with a straight bolt and no scope? I love the rifle either way, there's nothing like a M-N for noisy firing with a solid shove into the shoulder.

If you know more about these or what I have, please let me know. I can pull my camera out if absolutely necessary, but I don't know how to cover up the serial numbers in the photo.

Stephanie B

The Red Army churned out a lot of sniper rifles during the Great Patriotic War than they needed after the war. A lot were "desnipered" by plugging the scope mounting holes and by fitting a straight bolt to the rifle.

I've heard that when the Soviet armorers refurbished the rifles, they tended to remove any rust with a wire wheel, so a lot of the original markings wound up being rubbed away.

With the plugs, it does sound as though you have an ex-sniper, though.

My $.02US

Jeffenwulf

I found a site since my original post that said the 1942 models didn't have the serial numbers on the left, that started in 1943. Where they welded is actually pitted on the outside of the receiver. I don't know how the number could match if the bolt was changed out, heck, I don't even know who put the numbers on initially. I just think it's cool, even if they were churned out in crazy numbers.

Stephanie B

If you have a good bore on that rifle, with decent ammunition, I think you may be surprised at how well it will shoot for you.

even11

Probably an ex sniper! Cool to own and to the right person that can add to the value although they aren't especially un common. Lets see a picture or two if you don't mind.

Also try looking at www.surplusrifleforum.com for some more info!

-Dane

Jeffenwulf

As requested:
100_6407.jpg

With its little friend, the M38.

100_6408-1.jpg

The wood splice where the scope was and the pitting of the welds.

100_6409.jpg

Inside the receiver.

100_6412.jpg

Trying to show the barrel ... it's a long frickin' rifle.