909 vs 5906 for competition and c/c

dabigguns357

My wife has shown some interest in beginners competition shooting.Here is my question,which would be better to compete with,the 909,910 or 5906.I have let her try both my sig 229(357 sig)and glock 22,she hated the grip on both.They do have a revolver class but we both agree that her snubbie is under gunned,and she can but doesn't like shooting my 686.We have been checking around to see which one would be best,but find little to go on.

We just want to know which would do better for both beginning competition and c/c.The 3 biggest things the gun must have is "a hammer,shorter/lighter trigger pull and must be a 9mm or 357 sig" her words.I will do what ever it takes to keep her intrested in shooting,while remembering she has small hands.In fact she wears a size 4 wedding ring.:rolleyes:

SW40F

For small hands, why not consider the single-stack 39/439/3913 series or the 908/908s Value Line?

ATW525

Which does she prefer? The primary difference between the 909 and the 5906 (besides the value line changes to the 909) is that the 909 is a single stack and the 5906 is double.

My experience with single stack 3rd generation S&Ws is that factory plastic grips are very thin and easy to conceal. So the 909 probably has an notable edge in concealed carry. Of course the 9 round magazines might be a handicap in competition, depending on what exactly what competition she intends to compete in.

dabigguns357

I haven't heard much about the 39 series,but she has held the 5906 and liked it enough to have me put one on layaway.The only problem is when she carries it (weight)and the hammer.The one we have on layaway doesn't have one.

Would there be a way to add a hammer or lighten the trigger pull for her in a dao model or even both.I don't mind paying the extra money for upgrades if it will mean she will shoot better and have more fun.

BTW there are no gun shops or rental gun ranges for her to try one so we are kinda stuck on choices to shoot.