90 Grain Ammo

TiP99

Is their any advantages of a lighter bullet in a 9MM rather than a 115 or 127 grain bullett. I am looking at 90 grain corbon +p rounds. Is there extra velocity of a 90 grain bullet going to provide more damage, ie buzzsaw hollowpoint effect, over a 127?
Any poorbastard i have to shoot, is gonna feel it!

esldude

No advantages for SD. Heavier bullets penetrate better, and offer enough expansion with modern HP design. 9mm should be 124 gr. or larger. 147 gr is probably best for most purposes.

A 90 gr. likely wouldn't penetrate adequately more often than the heavier bullets.

p99guy

i also agree...no 90 grainers, I fear that there just isnt enough penetration for general self defense duties. 124 or heavier seems to work best.Though I do use 115's on occasion

ISP2605

In about 1979-1980 time frame our issued ammo was Federal 95 gr JSP. It was a real smoker for back then. Out of my issued S&W 39 it would average a shade over 1400 fps. It worked great provided you didn't have to shoot thru any barriers. The shootings I am aware of it did a very fine job, except going thru glass or car sheet metal where it would come apart. I only used it to dispatch road struck deer. The rds that I was able to recover showed picture perfect mushrooming. Hard to judge penetration since my dispatch shots were to the head and I had to dig most of them out of the dirt.

abelew

Depending on the stated velocity of the round, it might do well. Remember, rifle rounds, which typically are lighter, faster rounds that do really well. If the round mushrooms like it should and stays together then I would say it would be good, because it would have less recoil, allow for faster follow up shots, and penetrate clothing better. That said, do some research, I could be incorrect