9 wounds found on man slain by police

spacemanspiff

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/8195256p-8088872c.html
9 wounds found on man slain by police
CONFRONTATION: He had shot his girlfriend three times; she escaped.
By TATABOLINE BRANT Anchorage Daily News Published: September 15, 2006
Last Modified: September 15, 2006 at 02:41 AM

A man police shot to death in a bedroom of his mother's Muldoon apartment early this month had at least nine gunshot wounds to his body when the gunfire ended, according to medical documents provided by the dead man's family.

Charles Dobson, a convicted armed robber who shot and wounded his girlfriend before his deadly confrontation with police, had six wounds to his chest and one wound each to his thigh, knee and foot, according to an Emergency Department report from Providence Alaska Medical Center.

In other details revealed this week, police said Dobson had shot his girlfriend three times before officers arrived. Despite her wounds, the woman was able to escape.

Police say that after officers swarmed to the scene, two shot Dobson when he pointed a gun at them. Detectives have not said what kind of firearm Dobson was holding or whether it was loaded, but police records released this week by Dobson's family show that investigators found an automatic weapon and a pistol on the floor of the bedroom.

Homicide Detective Glen Klinkhart, lead investigator on the case, said Wednesday that Dobson was shot with a shotgun and a rifle but could not say how many times.

Six shotgun cartridge casings and nine rifle cartridge casings were found at the scene of the shooting, according to the property seizure list police provided to Dobson's family.

Klinkhart said it is not always immediately clear how many times a shooting victim has been hit, because a single bullet can damage multiple parts of the body. In the case of shotguns, one round can release multiple pellets that cause individual injuries. Klinkhart said he needed to speak with the state medical examiner and review all the evidence before he could say for certain how many times Dobson was hit.

Moreover, the wounds listed in the medical documents were all to the front of Dobson's body. The medical report notes that authorities had not yet turned him over to look for other wounds.

Things are clearer with regard to the shooting of Dobson's girlfriend. Klinkhart said Wednesday that Dobson shot 24-year-old Marilyn Kosbruk three times before officers arrived at the multiplex on East 21st Avenue. Kosbruk managed to get to a neighbor's home, where someone called police.

"She is really, really lucky to be alive," Klinkhart said.

Kosbruk could not be reached this week for comment.

Police have released few details about what their investigation has shown regarding the chronology of events surrounding the Sept. 4 shooting, a silence that has frustrated Dobson's family.

The dead man's mother, Lucy Dobson, and sister, Elizabeth Dobson, have questioned whether police or emergency responders could have done more to avoid deadly force or to save Dobson after he was shot.

Lucy Dobson, who was home sleeping when Kosbruk was shot, initially thought there was an armed intruder in her home and jumped out a window, missing the confrontation with police. She didn't find out her son had been shot until she got to the hospital, she said, and no one would let her see him. She said she was taken to a police station for questioning and only afterward was told her son had died at the hospital.

Elizabeth Dobson, 24, was offended that police thought her brother's Alaska birth certificate was false. Officers confiscated the document the night of the shooting, along with a "Rep. Of Philippines" driver's license in Charles Dobson's name. Police wrote in one of their reports that the birth certificate "appears to be false."

"They thought that because he's Filipino, he had a fake ID," Elizabeth Dobson said, referring to the birth certificate. "He's an American citizen! ... He was born at (Alaska) Regional Hospital!"

The police seizure list details several other items confiscated from Charles Dobson's bedroom, including a bag of what they believed to be crystal methamphetamine, a bag of dried mushrooms, a radio scanner and ammunition.

The rest of Lucy Dobson's apartment is tidy and filled with religious pictures and figurines and toys for visiting grandchildren. Elizabeth Dobson said Wednesday that the drugs found in her brother's bedroom might not have been his.

"He grew up in a good family," Lucy Dobson said in an interview last week.

Police spokesman Lt. Paul Honeman said it is understandable that the family is upset and has questions. He said he'd like nothing more than for all the details to come out. But that can't happen until the investigation is complete -- a process that's expected to take several months.

"I feel for the mom, but this is treated like a homicide investigation," said Klinkhart.

The officers involved in the shooting have returned to duty after taking a mandatory three days off.

Elizabeth Dobson said she is skeptical that police will do a good job investigating the shooting since it involves their own.

She might not be the only one who is wary.

"The officers sometimes think we're doing this case to prove they did something criminal," Klinkhart said. "But a good investigation is also going to show if they didn't do anything wrong."

Klinkhart said the investigation would be fair and neutral and thorough. When it is complete, prosecutors will review it. "They'll look at my case and take it apart," he said.

If prosecutors decide charges aren't warranted, the case will be passed to internal affairs to see whether any department policies were violated, Klinkhart said.

"The officers are in a predicament because they get judged twice," he said. "It's a pretty big deal."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daily News reporter Tataboline Brant can be reached at tbrant@adn.com or 257-4321.

Last edited:

spacemanspiff

Feeling no sympathy at all for the family of Dobson. The first day the newspaper ran a story, the mothers story was "I heard my boy pleading with the police "Dont shoot! Dont shoot!"
Then her story changed to 'she was too far away to hear the officers shoot him'.
And now, she claims she didnt know her son was shot?

azurefly

Spiff -- LOL! Unbelievable. (Literally!)

The dead man's mother, Lucy Dobson, and sister, Elizabeth Dobson, have questioned whether police or emergency responders could have done more to avoid deadly force or to save Dobson after he was shot.

This raises interesting questions.

Just how hard do the police have to try to save the life of someone once they have shot him justifiably? How hard do civilians like you or me have to try to save a guy we have shot, when the reason we shot him was because he was trying to rob and kill us?

I'm sorry, if he's lying there clearly incapacitated, some may say that you should go trying to save his life now since the threat to you has ended, but I'll go out on a limb and say I have a problem with that thinking. Not least of it is the notion that I should not have to deal with this scumbag's blood and whatever pathogens it may contain. I should not have to deal with the possibility that he is playing possum. I simply should not have to care about the future well-being of someone who just moments ago sought to end my life.

-azurefly

teuffelhundenao

If the cops shot him and they didnt hit him in the head (obviously dead) they have a legal obligation to render aid just as the military has a legal obligation to render aid to the enemy. They can not just stand by and watch him die but after 9 shots I would believe he was probably obviously dead at that point. I feel nothing for the guy because he was a scum bag and got what he had coming.

S.Miller

6 shell casings and 9 rifle casings. Did they fire their sidearms as well? Not knowing what type of buckshot they were using (assuming it wasn't slugs) we don't know how many pellets in total were in play. I mention all of this because apartment bedrooms are small, and he was shot 9 times...there had to be several misses. Even if the only guns used were shotgun and rifle then there had to be at least six misses, and if multiple pieces of buckshot struck him then there were even more misses.
Detectives have not said what kind of firearm Dobson was holding or whether it was loaded, but police records released this week by Dobson's family show that investigators found an automatic weapon and a pistol on the floor of the bedroom.
Sigh. It doesn't matter if it was loaded or not. The cops don't have the time to try and figure that out. I suspect most people who have guns pointed at them primarily notice the muzzle. "Automatic weapon and a pistol"? If it wasn't a full-auto firearm then it's not an "automatic weapon". I'm guessing it was a semi-auto rifle, possibly one of those dreaded so-called "assault rifles".

stevelyn

Just how hard do the police have to try to save someone after they have shot him justifiably?

I dunno. It's never come up during any of our training that I can recall.

My personal view is after the smoke clears and the bg is down, it's a medical problem, not a police problem. Call an ambulance.:D

Eghad

If he had already shot his girlfriend three times and had a weapon I would say that he has already used deadly force and was prepared to do so again.

blume357

sounds like suicide by cop to me

Guy wanted to be killed and just pointed the gun(s) at them to get it over with. Happens alot.

with that said, I have a friend in law enforcement that says he was always taught to shoot until they stop moving... seems they don't stop moving until his simi-auto has emptied all 15 rounds.

ceetee

Police officers are generally have rudimentary equipment to protect themselves from blood-borne beasties. They're also given (or should be, fer Chrissake) basic knowledge of how to apply first aid. Once the threat has ended, and any people that may need to be secured have been, they should (at a minimum) use whatever techniques their formal training says are appropriate to deal with the injuries that have been caused. That's not to say that giving first aid should take precedence over securing the crime scene to ensure their own safety...