9-Shot Colt Woodsman?

Swifty Morgan

I am fiddling with the 3rd generation Colt Woodsman I picked up today, and it is impossible to get 10 rounds into the magazine, which has "Colt" stamped into the bottom of it.

Has anyone here ever heard of a Woodsman magazine that only held 9 rounds?

jrothWA

Head over to www.rimfirecentrsl.com,

menu down to the COLT forum

Search for magazine takedown our look for "prewoodsman"posting.

You may have a spent case trapped inside and needs to be removed.

Also try: www.22colt.com
another informatiom site, with take-down and some tools .

1950's you should have the magazine release on the left side of frame ala a 1911.

Hope this helps.

HiBC

I don't know the capacity.I'd like to think the magazine could shoot a 10 shot string. Forcing an extra round can spread the lips.

Yes,make se the mag is clean,free of debris,and properly assembled

T. O'Heir

Go here.
https://www.colt22.com/index.html
And it's worse than you think. Not all Woodsman's use the same mag. No mention of any being less than 10 though. Mags need bathing too. There might be a bit of crud in it stopping the follower.
Ignore the Blue Book of Gun Values. It's not accurate. It gives averages of values from all over the U.S. with no regard for local supply and demand.

stinkeypete

For NRA bullseye shooting you can only have 5 in the magazine anyhow- my TT Olympia (Norinco clone) magazines hold 8.

This thing about 10 isn't a standard, although all the stuff on the interwebs indicate the capacity is 10... Ask the Colt guys at Rimfire Central, I suspect there isn't a problem.

Swifty Morgan

I would love to ask at Rimfire Central, but they banned me for spamming about a week after I signed up. And I don't spam. I don't sell anything. Very weird. Never did anything wrong. Never got a warning. They don't respond to inquiries.

Maybe one of the mods thinks I'm an ex-girlfriend, come to spy on him.

Numrich makes replacement mags, but I am reluctant to buy until I have some idea of the quality. I would like to have at least two 10-round jobs.

Swifty Morgan

I have to do something about this. Not only am I limited to 9 rounds; the magazine spring is so strong it makes my hands sore. Maybe someone put the wrong spring in it.

There is absolutely no way to get a 10th round in there. It's hard to get the 9th one in.

I saw an old forum post that said a guy had found a way to use Ruger MKII magazines in a second-generation Woodsman. Another user said they don't work in third-generation guns. I wonder if anyone here has tried using magazines from other makers. It would be pretty neat to have a big supply of cheap magazines.

I looked into Triple K magazines, and they get bad reviews. The only other new ones I've found are made by Numrich, and I don't know whether they're any good.

Swifty Morgan

Interesting information: Beretta cloned the Woodsman third-generation magazine for the Neos pistol, so if you buy Neos magazines and file the plastic at the bottom down a little, you get Woodsman magazines for a little over $20 each. And they're stainless, so low maintenance.

Numrich used to sell the base plates for Colt magazines, but they stopped.

dogtown tom

I've been shooting the Woodsman (Second & Third series) since 1976 and have owned as many as twenty at once.......never have I had a problem with the factory mag and being able to load ten rounds.

I suspect either:
-it isn't an original magazine.
-its an aftermarket crap mag body with a Colt floorplate.
-someone swapped out the original follower or mag spring.
-magazine body, spring or follower is damaged.

Swifty Morgan

The spring is a lot stronger than it needs to be, and it can't be compressed enough to take a tenth round. The magazine looks like a Colt, but it has a notch on one side, which suggests it's for an earlier model.

I haven't found a source for springs.

Swifty Morgan

Today my Beretta Neos magazines arrived. They are not SIMILAR to Woodsman magazines. They ARE Woodsman magazines. The only difference is the base.

I took the spring out of a Neos magazine and stuck it in a Colt. Suddenly, the Colt magazine words perfectly. Someone had stuck the wrong spring in it.

To make a Beretta magazine fit in the Woodsman, I had to use a Dremel and a file to cut a little notch in the plastic base, which is thicker than a Colt steel base. Now the Beretta magazine fits perfectly. Pretty amusing.

An industrious person could cut a little piece of sheet steel and form it into the shape of a Colt base.

Now I guess I should cut some coils out of the Colt spring, stick it in a Neos magazine, alter the remaining three Neos bases, and get back to shooting.

If anyone knows where I could get a Woodsman or Neos spring without buying a whole magazine, I would like to know.

The Neos magazines are stainless. I might blue them to make them match the Colt.

03 16 20 Colt Woodsman Beretta magazine altered base small.jpg

Last edited:

Swifty Morgan

I should have looked there before asking. Thanks.

I suppose I should try cutting up the old spring first, since it's never going to work in a Woodsman as it is.