9 MM ?

rebs

School me on 9 MM Lugar. Is a Glock 19 9 MM luger ? I was given a set of Hornady 9mm Lugar dies that have Titanium Nitrate insert in the sizing die, does this make it like a carbide die, no lube needed ?

44 AMP

Staff
The 9mm Parabellum cartridge was introduced in 1902 by Georg Luger.

The round is today known as the 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Luger, 9x19mm, depending on where in the world you are.

in the 1920s the guy in charge of marketing in the US advertised it as the 9mm Luger, apparently because he thought that name would be more easily accepted and remembered in the American market.

Stoeger Co. legally owns the name "Luger" in the US market, still to this day.

There are a huge range of loads and not all are suitable for all guns.

There are lots of books on the subject and its history.

As to the dies, I think they would be like carbide dies, needing no lube, BUT I don't know for certain, CALL HORNADY, they know, and I'm pretty sure they'll tell you. ;) If the die set has the instruction book with it, that should tell you. If it doesn't have the instructions, call Hornady and get some.

Last edited by a moderator:

74A95

Shadow9mm

Yes, a Glock 19 is in 9mm luger
Yes, it is like carbide, no lube needed. I actually have the Hornady with the TI NI ring, and a lee with a carbide ring. the Hornady is smoother and required less effort to resize.

Last edited:

dahermit

...dies that have Titanium Nitrate insert in the sizing die, does this make it like a carbide die, no lube needed ?
The correct words are: Titanium "Nitride". Titanium Nitride is a ceramic, usually applied over Tungsten Carbide (but there are some 100% Titanium Nitride cutter inserts used in industry). It has a Goldish hue and is harder than Tungsten Carbide. Such inserts require no lubrication when sizing brass casings save for those dies made for .30 Carbine. However, when it comes those dies that advertise "Titanium Nitride", I don't know if the sizing insert is Totally Titanium Nitride or Tungsten Carbide coated with Titanium Nitride. I suspect the later.

Last edited:

rc

9mm Luger = 9x19= 9mm Parabellum = most common 9mm in the world.
Glock 19
CZ 75
Sig 226
and many many many more are "9mm" pistols.

Not to be confused with 9x23, 38 super, 9mm Largo, 9mm Bergman etc or....

9mm Corto, 380acp, (380 auto)

9mm Browning Long
and other 9mms.

Ricklin

Do be aware there are many 9mm cartridges as mentioned above.

A oddball yet now pretty common round is the 9mm Makarov. I have a couple in my accumulation (collections have a theme) the 9mm Makarov came from behind the iron curtain years ago.

The 9mm Makarov round can be made from Std. 9mm cases. Shortening the 9 X 19 case by one MM produces a serviceable 9 X 18 Makarov case.

Bullets are specific to the Makarov round of course. I typically mark the caseheads black with a sharpie so I don't cross them up. The bullet profile helps too.
I've made up the cases this way myself, no issues at all. Hope this helps someone shoot a little more during this shortage.

I don't know if the Std. 9mm die set will "work" for the shorter Makarov rounds, I have a Makarov die set.

Last edited: