9.3 mm hunting bullets

ligonierbill

I have been working loads for my 9.3x62, and I thought I'd ask what you 9.3 shooters are using on game. I have read here and elsewhere that the inexpensive Speer 270 is somewhat fragile. The 286 Nosler Partition is just about everyone's choice, and it shoots well in mine, but availability is spotty. The 286 Hornady Interlock and the 285 Lapua Mega also shoot well (everything I've tried does), as does the 250 Barnes. I ordered some 232 Norma Oryx, but have not tested them yet. And Accubond 250s are nowhere to be found. Woodleigh? Swift?

I'm thinking big North American critters, elk, moose, bear.

Wyosmith

I have used a Ruger 9.3X74R quite a lot in the last 6 years or so, and I have used a few different bullet. I also have made some 9.3X62s for some customers and also two 9.3X57s. So I am learning about the bullets as I go too.

The most accurate one I have shot so far is the Speer 270 grain, but it is beyond doubt the worst game bullet I have used in .366" diameter. One of the worst in any diameter. Bullets come apart down to the jackets when they impact any game, all the way down to small white tail deer and antelope does. Good practice bullet for paper, dirt clots and jack rabbits.

The Hornady 286 grain has done well for me, but I know of 3 other men that have had that bullet come apart and fail badly. It is quite accurate also. Depending on your game, you may or may not want to try it. I have had good luck so far, but I have only killed 3 head of game with it so that's not a good cross-section of experience.

My friend Rolf sent me some German made 240 grain bullets. I can't remember who made them now. They are a spire point not a rounded spitzer. They are breaking up also. I think they may be RWS.

Everything made by Nosler has been excellent. Both bonded and partitions. Could not ask for better. These are the ones I am settling on myself.

Woodleigh is an unknown for me first hand.. I have shot some of their bullets, but have not killed anything with them so far. They are very accurate. I do have a friend who has killed 2 elk with them from a 9.3X62 and said they left good exits, but neither one hit bone or was a challenging shot. So I just have to assume they are good, like all the weld-cores I have shot, but that's just an educated guess.

Barnes. I know of 5 kills with them. All 250 grain bullets. One from a 9.3X57 I made a man in Rawlins and the rest from 9.3X62s. All say they are just fine. Exits are not as large as those left by the Noslers, but obviously large enough. One kill was a hit on the shoulder bone of a mid-size bull elk. The bull had it's bone broken, his lungs destroyed and the bullet still exited. Range was about 200 yards.
The one killed with the9.3X57 I was told left an exit about quarter size, but the large cow elk only made it about 10 yards so it seems to be fine.

I have a friend in Alaska who uses a 9.3X57. (not one I made) and he is using the Norma Vulkan 232 grain. So far he's killed about 2 Dz head of game and says it's "the bullet" for his gun. I only can report what he's told me but apparently these bullets retain nearly all their weight and expand well on Moose, caribou and bear. I'd trust his judgement

thallub

Killed quite a few hogs with the 9.3X62. The Privi Partisan 286 grain ammo does a great job on big hogs. The bullet goes through the shoulders of a 300-350 pound hog leaving a huge exit hole.

Recently loaded some 286 grain Hornady bullets in Hornady cases. Muzzle velocity is about 2,375 fps. Killed the largest wild boar hog i ever saw, over 400 pounds, with that bullet. Shot the hog through the shoulders and got a pass through. Hog bang flopped, kicked for a few seconds and expired.

ligonierbill

I finished testing today, and I had to post this group with Norma's 232 Oryx. This load is running 2,600. I can get a little more, but the group isn't quite as good. One flier an inch from the other 4. This Sauer 100 shoots everything I've tested well, but I'm going with the Oryx and 286 Nosler Partition if that's not enough. Still haven't found any Nosler AB 250s, which would offer a better BC.

Attachments

• Oryx 232 group.jpg
    Oryx 232 group.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 57

mete

Of the premiums on a variety of game , Nosler, Barnes, Swift, and similar all have a proven record . In various cartridges , even Handgun ! The 300 Barnes and Swift are my favorite for my 45-70. I use the Barnes 300 for my 44 mag M 29. All were factory loads .Only one was not a one shot and that ran just as I squeezed off. These were all white tail or red deer . :)

Husqvarna

I use Norma Alaska (285) for hunting with the dog (close shots and more of a wallop

from a blind or driven hunting I use the oryx (232)