8mm Mauser for hogs?

gmarr

Looking to break in my new (new to me) Mauser, M24/47, with a hog hunt. What's a good load for pigs? Shots will be up to 100 yds or so. Any help will be appreciated.

rickyrick

I imaging that any softpoint or other hunting bullet for the mauser would knock the snot out of them.

I frequently use .303 brit and its more than enough.

More often I use .223 as all pigs are taken at less than 100yds with 25yds being the average.

Near the ear or low on the chest just barely behind the leg are the spots to shoot them.

TX Hunter

Just about any soft point load, domestic or comercial, but be sure to shoot the rifle, and see where it hits. If its a stock 24 47 it probably shoots about a foot high at 100 yards.
I have one, and had to replace the front sight with a taller one, before I could hit anything.

firewrench044

Load works very good in 3- M48s, 2- K98s, 1- 98, 3- VZ24s

8MM mauser

150gr Sierra Pro Hunter
50.5gr IMR 4895
CCI # BR2 Primer
Rem. cases
3.050 COAL

Smokey Joe

Hog rounds...

Gmarr--Hogs I like to hit like the Hammer of Thor. So in my 8mm (I have a Yugo M-48 made into a scout rifle) I use 200 grain Nosler Accubonds, with a powder load of Varget tailored to my rifle.

8mm's tend to like heavy-for-caliber bullets, and as far as pigs are concerned that's just fine with me. Accubond bullets are nice and accurate, and are IMHO, unparalleled in internal destruction in the target.

We'll need a report--with pix--on the hog hunt.

tahoe2

I like Speer 200 grainers @ 2450fps out of my M24/47, K98, or M48a
Nosler 180 ballistic tips get an honorable mention.