8mm mauser and win760

5whiskey

Its really just that. Surplus ammo has all but dried up, and i feel the need to dust off my yugo mauser and put it back in service. I've found a couple of older published loads that are obviously american manufacturer levels not even approaching cip for win 760 powder. I've seen a 1st edition Lee manual that lists 48gns of win760 under a 170gn jacketed bullet at a pitiful 2240 fps. I've found h414 data (I understand it is identical to w760) pushing a 200gn jacketed bullet to near 2500fps (50gn charge weight). Finally, I've seen quickload data that suggests w760 powder to be very efficient for 8x57JS. To the tune of pushing a 180gn nosler projectile to 2800fps.

I'm not "stuck" on w760, but I have several pounds of it and would like to put it to use. I would also like to shoot 180 to 200gn projectiles as I may hunt with these loads. So... Does anyone have a pet load they would share? If not I have decided I will probably use the h414 data for 200gn bullets, but I figured I would ask you guys. Additional data for 180gn projectiles would be appreciated (only have published data for 170 and 200, and the 170 is suspect as it is a less max load than the 200gn projectile).

Dufus

Nosler has load data online for the 180 and 200 since that is all they make in that caliber.

I looked up some load info in the Winchester #15 load manual and they are very wussed.

Roadkill2228

I'll check my load manual tomorrow. I think 760 is on the slow burning side for this case to bore ratio. Also quite temp sensitive in my experience. A lot of watered down load data for all the European cartridges for sure. Loaded full pressure the 8mm Mauser is everything the .30-06 is.