8mm for hogs

gmarr

Going to a farm next week to go after some hogs. Taking my Yugo Mauser instead of my Ruger Hawkeye in .308. So what's a good ammo for the Mauser? Shots will probably be under 100 yards. Any suggestions?

Mobuck

About anything will work at those ranges. The Hornady 195 grain would be a step up from the norm. The standard Remington/Winchester ammo uses a cup and core bullet designed for medium game(deer & hog sized).

publius

Doesn't matter. Put it in the right spot. I've probably killed @ 50 pigs with 8mm, .30-06, and .308 military surplus with good results every time.

Willie Lowman

Make sure whatever you buy will cycle in your rifle before you take to the hunt.

I have had feed issues with my K98 and M48 Mausers and the 170 grain round nose JSP ammo from Remington and Federal.

doofus47

When I shot 8mm, my K98 and Spanish M43 would eat pretty much anything (I didn't try Willie L's round nose ammo).
I wasn't a fan of the Winchester reduced recoil 8mm. I never hunted with that b/c it wouldn't cycle my Hakim no matter the gas setting. I'm guessing that translates into mucho less energy at the hog-side of the equation.

good luck

Jack O'Conner

Many Mauser actions do not cycle round or blunt nose bullets very well. But we've found that Winchester Power Point ammo cycles perfect and shoots amazing groups, too.

Winchester and Remington 8mm ammo is loaded to lower pressure than European and Hornady ammo. But this is no matter because once that soft nose smashes through the chest organs, the animal will topple quickly.

Years ago, I was stationed in Spain with USAF. It took almost a year to receive a hunting license and permit to hunt red stag. I rented an 8mm rifle from my guide and it was fitted with a very bright German scope. On the second day of the hunt, I shot a respectable stag at distance of approx 150 yards. The animal bounded away but toppled after a few jumps. In my opinion, same performance I've witnessed on cow elk with 300 Savage or .308cartridges. 8mm is a keeper!

Jack