8MM Ammo Question

ohen cepel

My book shows a R (obsolete), JS, and a JRS.

R means it's rimmed (like a 30-30) vs a rebated rim.

The JS is the German military/sporting round and is .323 diameter, the JRS is a rimmed version of the JS but uses .318 dia bullets for some reason.

That is from Cartridges of the World.

Hope that helps some.

mapsjanhere

Just to clarify, it's really I, not J, the J was a misreading of the German fraktur font I for Infantrie, it stuck in a lot of English language literature.
You have 4 versions of the round, I, IR, IS and ISR. I (and the rimmed version IR) were introduced in 1888 as the M88 infantry round with a 318 diameter. In 1906 they introduced the IS cartridge, using the same brass but with a heavier 323 spitzer round (guess who copies that as 30-06 to replace the just introduced 30-03).

James K

Member In Memoriam
I hate to say the man did any good, but Hitler was responsible for banning Fraktur and also for separating the I in German into I and J. German doesn't have our "J" sound (as in "jaw") and the initial J is pronounced like our Y, as in Junkers (****. "Yunkers"). The I is pronounced as the English I.

Sort of an offshoot of that, German doesn't use the "J" sound for the G either; the German G is always hard, as in "go" or "get".

So Herr Luger's first name is pronounced "Gay'-orgk", and the current German prime minister's first name, Angela, is pronounced "Awn'-gay-lah". The common nickname for Angela is Geli, pronounced as "gaily".

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
Yes, that 24/47 Yugo rifle takes 8x57JS, as do all K.98k's, VZ-24's, Yugo M48, etc. The 8x57J was not used in a German military rifle after about 1905, and the Model 98's originally made for it were rebarrelled after the larger bullet was adopted.

Jim

44 AMP

Staff
FYI

Some German sporter rifles were still made in the smaller bore size (.318) after the military adopted the .323 diameter bullet. This is why ammo in both bullet diameters is still found. And why it is important to know which bore diameter 8mm Mauser you have.

The rimmed version of the round was intended for use in break action sporter rifles, mostly that fine German invention, the Drilling.

While many Drillings were made to handle rimless rifle rounds, rimmed rounds, including rimmed versions of many common European (and even English) rimless cartridges were popular for many years.