88 security, 500 persuader, 590A1 - 8 shot upgrade steps

zip22

Using Buds as my price reference, here is how I see these breaking down ('+' I like, '-' I am indifferent).

12GA, 20" barrel, 7+1, bead sight, normal stock.

Maverick 88 $209

Mossberg 500 $304
+can replace forened
+top tang safety
-made in USA

Mossberg 590A1 $438
+beefier all around
-bayonet lug
-metal trigger guard and safety

I am also interested in adding a single point sling, 12" LOP Hogue (maybe the forend as well), and a big dot tritium sight. I know the forend won't work on the Maverick, but will the stock, sling, and sight? Or is the Maverick different from the Mossberg models in those areas?

Also, if anyone is interested in some detail pics of the 8 shot Maverick, I found this review to be very useful.
http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/mossberg-maverick-88-security-8-shot.html

Sportsman 12

My 2 cents. Get the 6 +1 model. This model will interchange barrels. Better yet, buy the Field model which is still 5 +1 and now you have a 28" barrel plus interchangeable chokes. Then buy the 18 1/2" barrel for under $80.00. Now you have two guns in one.

The 7+1 model is not only heavier, but requires a special barrel for field use and apparently Mossberg has discontinued that special barrel.

5+1 isn't bad, and beats the 870's 4 +1.

Sometimes the Field Mavericks are cheaper than the defense models, and the 28" barrel sells for around $175.00 seperately vs $80.00 for the 18 1/2 seperately. This is the way to go.

I paid $157.00 for the field model at Acadamy Sports and then added the short barrel. Win/Win!

EdInk

Best advice.... Buy an 870HD. :D

All joking aside, stay away from the pistol grip only models. They are hard to shoot and not much fun after a few rounds. A 6+1 model is alot easier to maneuver because of length and weight. Don't buy all that crap until you try the gun as it comes from the factory. Buy a basic 18" Mossberg 500 and be done with it. I blame AR-15 guys for making people want to slap a bunch of crap onto every gun they own. Good luck.

zippy13

Let's see, you can get two Maverick 88s for less than the price of one Mossberg 590A1. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

zip22

yeah, that was my thinking. I just wanted to check to see if the hogue would fit on it (or them I suppose).