870 trigger issue

sarge83

I have a friend with a Remington 870 28 inch shotgun who is having issues with it. He can load it chamber a round, fire it, pump the shotgun and eject the spent casing and pump another round into it, but it will not reset the firing pin. His finger is off the trigger during the pumping of the shotgun. Thoughts?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
He is cycling it with "authority" right? Light cycling can fail to lock it up... This is cause of many failure issues in pump guns...

Brent

Panfisher

Most likely is that the trigger is gunked up with oil/dirt/grime. drop it out, clean it with an aresol solvent like brake cleaner and try it again. Assuming like Hogdog said, he is cycling with authority/enthusiam and not short stroking it.

bamaranger

"set" ?

Sounds to me like the hammer is not staying or getting cocked. The firing pin in an 870 is "passive", for want of a better word, and simple rides in its tunnel in the bolt. It is struck by the hammer when tripped.

I'd pull the trigger group (surprisingly often not done), soak the whole works in cleaner, swab, degunk, blow off, etc, and see what that accomplishes.