870 TAC Desert Recon range report.

Cerick

I went to the range the other day with my new 870 and wanted to try out the patterns on some of the buckshot I just bought. I tried 3 different brands. I had Federal Tactical 00 buck, 2 3/4in, 9 pellets. Also I had Remington 3" magnum 00 buckshot 15 pellets, and Winchester super X 3" magnum 00 buck, with 15 pellets. All shots were fired at 25 yards. My choke is a cylinder choke.

Here are the results...

Federal Tactical 00 buck 2 3/4" 9 pellets
Picture186.jpg

Remington 3" Magnum 00 buck 15 pellets.
Picture185.jpg

Winchester Super X 3" Magnum 00 buck 15 pellets
Picture184.jpg

I only fired about 35 rounds all together and my 870 functioned flawlessly. The Federal shot very tight groups in all instances. The others, not so much. I fired one shot at each target while standing, aiming for the center. Not only did the federal shoot much tighter groups, it had much less kick to it, which is understandable. From a distance like 25 yards, the federal is the only way to go. From closer up I might go with one of the others, because of the spread and the number of pellets. Here are vids of me shooting also.

First two shots are with Remington 3" mag 00 buck, the rest are with Federal tactical 2 3/4" 00 buck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2_1MX8-Q9Y

All shots with federal tactical 2 3/4" 00 buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlIyBJ4jSk8

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I may need to try some of that tatical stuff for deer hunting. Is it a full power round or reduced?
Brent

rantingredneck

Brent,

They make both a full power and reduced recoil version.

I picked up some a few months back after seeing some of the range reports and some of the true guru's posts on them.

Good stuff.

Out of a cylinder or IC barrel they are hard to beat patternwise. The Flite Control wad really makes up for the lack of choke.

BTW, Federal also makes their "regular" non tactical buckshot with the Flite Control wads. Also some turkey shells. Not sure how the regular buckshot rounds perform patternwise. I got a case of the tactical stuff so I'll likely just use it.

The turkey loads pattern good. Never got a chance to go turkey hunting this spring though.........:(

Cerick

The Federal ammo was the regular loads, not the reduced recoil. Honestly the regular loads were fine to shoot and I see no need to shoot anything with "reduced recoil" because it was not harsh at all. If you look at the vid of me shooting where I also shot the Remington 3" Magnum 00 buck, those were harsh. The rems kicked hard and I could see a need for a reduced recoil load of those, but then again, they are 3" magnums for a reason.

I just bought more of the Federal ammo, and i'm going to go to the range again asap and test some loads again. I just want to confirm all the results I got the last time, plus try some new rounds out.