870 Pachmayr Fore End Warning

frontlander

Howdy. I recently acquired an 870 that had been worked over by the Gunsite gunsmity. MMC tritium ghost ring sights, synthetic stock, Side Saddle, Pachmayr fore end. It is a great gun. I've put around 200 rounds through it so far with only one problem. I kept having problems with the action not opening far enough after around 30-40 shots while shooting clay pigeons. The action would open about 2/3 the way and then a spongy resistance would be met. Thinking that it was a result of the cheap discount shells I was shooting, I broke the gun down and thoroughly cleaned and lubed it. It worked fine until I'd shot about 30 more rounds and then it started getting progressively harder to cycle the action. This time I sat down and really looked things over. It turned out that the barrel was heating up enough from the rapid fire clay shooting that it was actually melting the Pachmayr fore end onto the barrel! There was just a little bit too much material on the barrel side of the forend. I ground out the fore end to about an 1/8" clearance to the barrel and greased it for good measure. Problem solved. Just thought I'd let people know in case they experience the same problem.

C.R.Sam

That's a first for me.
Thanks for the heads up.

Might give Pac a buzz, they would probably appreciate it.
And GunSite

Sam

frontlander

Yes, it is great fun. I found that with the close shots I simply centered the clay in the rear ghost ring and pulled the trigger. The front sight was there but not really used. I can't say that I actually see the rear sight but the gun fits me so that when mounted my eye sees things centered through the ghost ring. On the long shots I aimed at the clay, centering it on top of the front sight. I did not feel handicapped in the least by using the ghost ring sights. Keep in mind though that this was just informal clay shooting with a little Hoppe's spring clay thrower. I don't know how it would work in true trap and skeet competion as I've never shot those.

frontlander

Yes, it is great fun. I found that with the close shots I simply centered the clay in the rear ghost ring and pulled the trigger. The front sight was there but not really used. I can't say that I actually see the rear sight but the gun fits me so that when mounted my eye sees things centered through the ghost ring. On the long shots I aimed at the clay, centering it on top of the front sight. I did not feel handicapped in the least by using the ghost ring sights. Keep in mind though that this was just informal clay shooting with a little Hoppe's spring clay thrower. I don't know how it would work in true trap and skeet competion as I've never shot those.