870 operating question

Rifleman1776

Most of my shooting is with muzzle loaders. My 870 pretty much sits unnused and I am not 100% familiar with it's operation.
I would like to know if there is a way to eject a fired round then close the action on an empty chamber when there are more shells left in the magazine. :confused: The Remington web site is no help on this.

Rob228

After racking it to the rear, look into the chamber and you will see the next live shell sitting on the shell carrier (Forgive me if this is not the proper nomenclature). Tilt the shotgun to the left and grab the live shell as it falls out the ejection port. You can then close it on an empty chamber. To visually satisfy yourself that it truly is empty, look into the chamber as you close it.

scorpion_tyr

You can do this, or you can intentionally not rack it back all the way. Slowly rack it back, and stop as soon as the fired shell starts to eject. You may have to grab the fired shell and pull it out yourself. It'll take some practice, but possible.

On a side note: For less than $25 you can get 100 rounds of birdshot and become very familiar with the gun :D

Pahoo

I use Rob228's method and will have to try Rifleman1776's method, that way you should not have to reload the shell, into the magazine tube. .... :)
Mind your muzzle .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!