870 Barrel

Jack Bauer

I recently picked up a Remington 870 12-gauge with a 20" barrel w/bead sight. It's all blued, no matte finish and I'd like to get a barrel with rifle sights on it, but not a rifled barrel. I was at Gander Mountain today and they have that, except it has some sort of choke attachment or something. I'm just looking for a plain-jane, blued barrel with rifle sights. Anyone know where I might get one?

Thanks...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Just so you know the above are smooth bore... here is their rifled 870 barrel...
SLUG 91048 ADJ. RIFLE SIGHTS 12 GA. 24" FULLY-RIFLED BORE MATTE BLUE $187.43

Brent

jmr40

I'd get the 20" barrel that was threaded for chokes. They are only a bit more expensive and make the gun much more versatile. You can use IC tubes for buckshot, and almost any general purpose use. But you do have the option of using Skeet, Modified or Full if the need ever arises. My brother has the same barrel and he turkey hunts with an extra full tube.

The non threaded barrels are IC and I have one just like you want. It is great for buckshot and is accurate enough for 100 yard shots with slugs, but not much else. I'd love to have the option of using other tubes.

rantingredneck

The Rem Choke rifle sight versions are very nice. I have a 20" 870 Express like that and a 21" 11-87. I used to have a Wingmaster barrel with removable chokes but sold it (silly me).

Jack Bauer

the barrels at Gander Mountain have, I believe, the "Rem Choke". It looks like some sort of insert in the barrel at the muzzle, and comes with some sort of wrench-looking thing. There's no real instruction, but the outside of the box it comes in says, "for instructions, see inside..." and there's nothing there. What exactly does this thing do?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but I've never seen a shotgun barrel like this...it's not threaded or anything (or is it threaded, and the insert thing is screwed into it?)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
(or is it threaded, and the insert thing is screwed into it?)
Yepper...
images

Sounds like it is an "extended" choke tube (possibly rifled for sabot slug improved accuracy) opposed to the typical "flush" choke tube...
images

Brent

Jack Bauer

The ones at Gander look just like the bottom photo...I'd never seen anything like that. What I'm looking at, would that be suitable for home defense?

oneounceload

Barrel is threaded for changeable choke tubes of the Remington variety. Interchangeable choke tubes have been around for over 30 years - nothing new there.

Chokes can be either flush mounted as the last pic in hogdogs post shows, or extended, where a portion is designed to extend past the muzzle - makes it easier to tell which choke is in the barrel and it is easier to tighten or change.

Unless a barrel is "cylinder", it will have some form of choke, even if it does not have interchangeable tubes. Tubes allow you to change constriction to work best with whatever payload you intend to use

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
As well as they also help you optimize payload on target for varying distances too.

The gun will always be "suitable for defense" but you can often optimize the gun for the best size pattern at your given distances. For many of us, we want the fist size hole at the most for hd while some believe the bigger the spread, the better with the mindset being they just cannot miss and no need to point/aim in the home because the shot payload will be plenty wide...

Brent

BBroadside

I agree about the variable choke. Mine is product 24545, which came with a rifled tube for sabot slugs and an IC tube or Foster and Brenneke slugs. The latter is good for buckshot as well (I doubt I'll see a need for sabot slugs so I pretty much just use the IC). The blue Wingmaster finish on the barrel doesn't match the dull Express on the receiver, but I don't care.

bamaranger

+1 on 20 inch sighted rem choke

+1 to jmr40 comments on the 20" rifle sighted rem choke tube.

I have just such a barrel and have used it for years as a turkey rig w/ an extended super full choke. Gobbler season ends and I put in an IC or modified tube for HD and buckshot. In the fall I have run traditional slugs through the IC tube w/ great results as well for deer.

A genuine Rem, blued, sighted tube w/ chokes is more $ than the Mossy's, but likely worth it.