84m kimber?

tdoyka

i'm thinking about having a 257 roberts in a 98 mauser(or variant) then i was told to look at kimber, so i looked it up here on the internet
( http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/rifle-family?layer&corporate_rifle_family=201 ) and found i could really like a kimber. except for the barrel, i guess i'm just prejudiced that it is a sporter weight. i had a rem mountian rifle(30-06, back in the early '90s) that just refused everything i gave it. i did every kind of powder and every kind of bullet but it still did 3" at 100yards(3 shots). it did do well on rem 180gr rn factory bullets(1 1/2" at 100 yards(3 shots). but it hated my handloads.

oh, i almost forgot, i do have a rem m7 in 7-08 that goes 1/2 - 3/4" at 100yards(3 or 5 shots). i have not shot my m7 for 8 or 9 years now. but other than that, i like a barrel that go .8+/- at the muzzle. and it has to have wood or a laminate.

guys that i know don't know nuthin about a 84m kimber, so i was wondering, does anyone have a kimber rifle? how does it shoot?

thanks!!!

jmr40

The Kimber 84 series are excellent rifles, but not a good choice for an all around rifle. Their claim to fame is extremely lightweight rifles for hunting in rugged terrain. My 308 weighs just a hair over 5 lbs and is still under 6 lbs scoped. The barrel isn't sporter weight, but the same as the mountain rifle.

The rifles can be mechanically very accurate. But not everyone can shoot a 5 lb rifle as accurately as they can a 7-8 lb rifle. If you do a lot of research you'll get very mixed reports on accuracy. It ain't the rifles fault.

If someone truly needs or wants a true fly weight rifle, and can shoot it, they are a bargain. Anything else in that weight class would cost 2X or 3X as much.

Fla_dogman

I held one in a LGS and wow, they're light, a 30-06 or heavier calibers would be brutal to shoot in my opinion. But if I had to carry one up a mountain it would be something to consider

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

std7mag

You could always look up Melvin Forbes and get one of his NULA rifles. Or E.R. Shaw has their own line of rifles. They are really nice. Not too badly priced.

tdoyka

thanks std7mag,
i plain forgot about about e.r. shaw. i'm waiting for his price quote now.

mel forbes are just too plain lite for me. as i get older( and i am handi-capable:D) the rifle's weight goes up. the old days of climbing a mountain are gone. :)

tdoyka

heres the quoted price

Mk. VII Online Gun Builder Submission

Thanks for your interest in the ER Shaw Mk VII rifle. The average turnaround time on Mk VII builds is in the 12 to 14 month area. We require a 50% deposit to submit the order for manufacturing. The balance can be paid upon completion of the rifle. Upon completion we will need a FFL dealer in your home area to send in a copy of their license so we can ship your rifle out to them.
Standard features include:

Glass and pillar bedded actions with fully free floated barrels.
Checkered stocks with Pachmayr recoil pads
Savage AccuTrigger™
Three position safety
Precision button rifled barrels
.250” Heavy duty recoil lugs
Drilled and tapped for Savage round receiver scope bases
Timney™ triggers and Warne™ bases available upon request
This is just a quote and all orders are taken over the phone. The office is open from 8:00am until 4:00pm Monday through Friday EST and can be reached at 412-221-3636. For additional questions and inquiries call or email us at customrifle@ershawbarrels.com.

Thanks again for your interest,

ER Shaw Custom Barrels/Custom Rifles
5312 Thoms Run Road
Bridgeville, PA 15017
Phone: 412-221-3636
Fax: 412-221-4303
Office Hours: 8am-4pm M-F EST
www.ershawbarrels.com

Date of Submission: 07/13/17

Contact Information

Ordering Instructions:
timney trigger contour 3 varmint weight
Mk. VII Information

Caliber: .257 ROBERTS ($0)
Receiver: Chrome Moly - Polished - Left Handed ($490)
Left Handed Charge ($20)
Barrel: Chrome Moly - No Fluting - Polished ($250)
Barrel Options: - 23" Length - Varmint
Stainless Steel/Chrome Moly Barrel/Receiver Combination Charge ($0)
Stock: Checkered Walnut Wood Stock ($180)
Shipping ($37)
Order Total: $977.00

Prices subject to change and correction.

std7mag

Tdoyka,
Not a problem. Glad i could help.
I went to their store a few months ago. Nice rifles. One i was looking at had the polished stainless barrel with muzzle brake. I couldn't find the line between the brake and barrel. The clerk screwed the brake off to prove it wasn't machined into the barrel.

I ordered a barrel for large ring Mauser.
284 Win.
24" 1.5 contour
11degree recessed target crown
Polished, blued.
$272
Should be at my door end of next week.

You might want to call / visit their store. They may have one there already.

flashhole

I own a Kimber 84, their Longmaster Classic in 223 Remington. It has a 24" stainless fluted barrel and blued action. This is not what I call a light weight gun but it's not heavy either. Shoots very accuratey with my my handloads.

Scorch

I have worked on a couple of Kimber 84M rifles. They are a very nice rifle. There have been some issues with accuracy, but this may be due to the light weight. The biggest problem I see with the Kimber is price, they cost $1400 (which may or may not be an issue to you).

I have said it before and will re-state it, the Kimber 84 is what the post-64 Winchester M70 should have been like. It is a miniature Mauser-style action, only the receiver is about 1/4" smaller in diameter than a Mauser 98 (with everything else comparably smaller).

So it all depends on what you want to end up with. You could get a Winchester M70, rebarrel it, and still be about what the Kimber would cost. Or you could buy a commercial Mauser 98 rifle and rebarrel it to the cartridge of your choice and still be about the price of the Kimber. Or, you could buy the Kimber and just hunt with it.

Whatever you do, I would never buy an ER Shaw Savage reworked and overpriced. Just wouldn't.

jackstrawIII

I have an 84M in 260 Rem. It's not a "tack driver" per se, but I get 1.25" groups at 100 yards and that's plenty for any hunting situation I can imagine.

It's such a handy little rifle too. I'd recommend it.

claiborne

2 Kimbers

I have had a Kimber 84 Longmaster Classic .223 for about 12-13 years. And a few months ago I bought a Kimber 84 Classic Select Grade .223.

They are both high quality in appearance, fit and function. Both shoot the same load inside 1/2 inch at 100 yards. 50gr ballistic tip, Winchester brass, CCI 450 and 25.6 gr H335.

I used to shoot squirrels up by Cedarville, Ca with the Longmaster, now I shoot chicken eggs out to about 200 yards. It is hard to miss when it isn't windy.

I bought the Classic Select Grade because as noted by another, although not a heavy bench rifle, the Longmaster is a bit heavy for chasing around small game. The Classic Select really shines for a carry-around, general use, rifle.

My only plan for these two rifles is to will them to my son.

T. O'Heir

"...3" at 100 yards..." That's actually more than accurate enough for a deer rifle with a thin whippy barrel. You do not need one hole groups for deer. It's far more important to be consistent than producing itty bitty groups.
I believe the Kimbers are Mauser based. Not that it really matters. Like Scorch says, they're a lot of money for a deer rifle.

std7mag

Sorry, but unless it's to hear from Tdoyka about the new rifle there is really no need to resurrect a 2 year old thread.

SPEMack618

We built one up in .300 Win Mag with a Nightforce scope for a customer. A shade under 9 pounds with optic and bipod.

Was no where near as a bad I was expecting with the factory muzzle device. Very pleasant to shoot and very accurate