835 vs. 870 3 1/2

pawcatch

The next gun I buy is going to be one of these two MOSSBERG 835 or REMINGTON 870 31/2 inch magnum.I prefer mossbergs but would like to here how both perform.

deanf

I have the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. I bought it after I looked at the 870 of the same configuration.

I bought the Mossberg because it was cheaper. The action of the 870 was much smoother than the Mossber. I've found the Mossberg to be satisfactory, but mine seems to shoot very low and very right at about 40 yards no matter which turkey load I'm shooting. The factory fiber-optic sights aren't adjustable, but I found a rear fiber-optic adjustable sight at Brownell's that should work good.

I like the tang safety of the Mossberg better that the trigger guard location of the 870. I've got 2 other Mossbergs, so I guess some of my purchase was brand loyalty.

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
AN 870 is an 870 is an 870,and a marvelously well made shotgun. My cautionary has to do with the 3.5" shell. See the thread about dinosaur loads for info and opinions.

Bobshouse

I have the Mossberg 835 and am very happy with it. The 835 is backbored & ported and it handles the 3.5 shells with no problems.

I can't comment on the 870. Ive never really looked at, or shot one. We use Mossbergs at work and never had any problems with them doing what there supposed to do.