80's ruger security 6 4" ss

jetinteriorguy

Mine hasn’t had any issues, it’s had a ton of use and never needed a thing. It’s a real work horse. I’ve polished the fcg and shimmed it with slightly lighter springs and it works and shoots as good as any pistol I’ve had in a self defense role. I carry it in my car every day.

jetinteriorguy

I bought mine used and the sight is a little banged up so the seller included a new replacement. But to replace it looked like a PITA and other than aesthetics the other one worked fine so I left it alone. I just use a small screwdriver with interchangeable bits and use the best size bit that fits the sight screw, nothing special. I keep this screwdriver in my range bag and there’s always at least one bit that fits on any size sight screws on all my pistols.

bamaranger

Ruger DA 6's

I have posted numerous times before that back in the day, the US Border Patrol wanted to determine what was the toughest most durable K frame size DA revolver. The instructors at FLETC GA shot Colts's, Smith's (I don't believe the L-frame was out yet} and Rugers heavily until they broke. The Ruger DA 6's were the walk away no doubt winners.

CajunBass

I had one back in the 80's that had a problem with the cylinder binding up when shooting. I sent it back to Ruger. They must have fixed it because it never had the problem again. My ex got that gun when we split up. I tried to buy it from her, but no deal. She knew a good gun when she shot it.

51cskipper

Just a note about the security six. I loaded up some rounds recommended by John Wooters of Shooting Times. First time I pulled the trigger, I was nailed with a thunderous muzzle blast. I opened the cylinder and had to use a rod and hammer to drive the cases out.
I took it to a smith...he found no damage and everything in spec.
Just a +1 for one of the strongest revolvers around.

Armybrat

My Service Six (the fixed sight version) has served me & my son well since I bought it new 40+ years ago.
The frame bluing has turned a little plum shade, but I kinda like it.

Attachments

• D62D15EC-9131-42B7-B210-86D48968AC8C.jpeg
    D62D15EC-9131-42B7-B210-86D48968AC8C.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 58

CajunBass

thanks Cajun. you were the first to list a quirk.
btw...im down in Suffolk.

I always thought the B/C gap was set too tight at the factory, but the repair order just said something like "repaired" with no details.

Mr.RevolverGuy

What can be wrong with these?
NOTHING I say
Thumnail-copy22-2.jpg

SIGSHR

Bought my 6" stainless used in 1976, installed a Bullseye/Trapper spring set, that lightened the trigger pull nicely while retaining 100&% reliability. Pachmayr grips for shooting comfort.