800 yard target gun on a college budget

Reidman

I am fortunate enough to have a great piece of land where I can safely shoot 800 yard shots. The only problem is I am a poor college kid with a yugo SKS and a Tikka M595 in .223 with a 1 in 12 twist. Both are GREAT guns but I will never put a scope on my SKS and I can't shoot heavy .223 rounds. I was looking into a Thompson Encore because of the calibre choices. The price is a little high but affordable.

What would be the best target rifle I could get for $500? Also what would be the best calibre choice for 800 yard gong ringing? I like to shoot a lot, so something thats easy on the shoulder. Also I have access to reloading equipment so concider that as well.

ocabj

The .308 is the most basic long range rifle. Ammo is plentiful, lots of rifles to choose from. You can get a Savage in .308 for $500.

If you want to shoot iron sights, then get yourself an M1 Garand from the CMP. You can still get a Service Grade Greek Issue (USGI Service Grades are gone) for $500 + shipping. With the basic aperture sight, you should be able to score hits on a target at 800-1000 yards. After all, the M1 has been used for 1000 yard service rifle matches (and still is).

DnPRK

Look at a Savage 110 or 10 or 12.

Also look at a Howa 1500.

Both can be found in 308 Winchester with 10 twist barrels for less than $500.

Shoot 175 grain Sierra Match Kings.

Reidman

M1 Garand

I belong to a range here in TN that is listed as a CMP club. I know the guy that runs the range pretty well. Maybe I should ask him about that. Don't you have to jump through a few hoops to get those CMP rifles?

utaherrn

like they said,

Savage 10 series Law Enforcement or 12 series Varminter, right under $500 NIB around here. Then spend enough to get a good scope on it.
.308 is a good choice, economical, surplus ammo is available for shorter range work, recoil's not bad.
Did I mention a good scope? They savings of a cheap scope will HAUNT you. It'll drive you nuts.

did I already mention that thing about a good scope?

ocabj

I belong to a range here in TN that is listed as a CMP club. I know the guy that runs the range pretty well. Maybe I should ask him about that. Don't you have to jump through a few hoops to get those CMP rifles?

Not really. You basically need to satisfy a few things to order a rifle from the CMP:

1. Proof of US Citizenship
2. Proof of age (#1 usually covers this too)
3. Proof of membership in a CMP affiliated organization
4. Proof of firearms related activity

1 and 2 are easy to provide. Most use a copy of a birth certificate or passport.

3 can be satisfied any number of ways. Most states have a Rifle and Pistol Association. These are usually CMP affiliates. A lot of people (like myself) pay $25 annually for the Garand Collectors Association. Or, a lot of people are already members of a local gun club that is CMP affiliated (as you mentioned you live near).

4 usually means you have participated in at least one official CMP recognized match, but this can be waived by various means. IE: If you are active or retired military, active or retired LEO, have a CCW, FFL or C&R, etc.

Once you have all 4 of the above, you can place an order.

Here are the detailed instructions:

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

bikenjam

Another vote for the Savage 10FP 308. I'm in college as well, and i'm saving up for a savage. I like the idea of the 300 wsm, but i think for my first longrange rifle id go with the 308 because its cheaper to reload, and a little less recoil. Also, the 308 is a proven round. you can get great ammo from black hills for a very reasonable price. The next stage for me would be picking out a scope, ah the choices!

Thats another thing Reidman, don't skimp out on the optics. There are lots of good choices out there for around 300-500 bucks. not the best in the world, but they can come close.

Jseime

.300 win mag .338 win mag...... you need a large claiber that throws heavy bullets with good BC. get the best rifle/scope combo you can afford maybe look into a single shot like NEF.

Lennyjoe

I just purchased a Savage 12FLP in 22-250 for $450 shipped from Wilson & Associates out of Oklahome. Found them on gunsamerica.

Shop around and you can find some good deals on the Savage series rifle.

Also, check out www.sportingarms.com for some good deals.

jefnvk

4 usually means you have participated in at least one official CMP recognized match, but this can be waived by various means. IE: If you are active or retired military, active or retired LEO, have a CCW, FFL or C&R, etc

Not hard at all. Mine was fufilled using my pistol permit, and my hunter's safety card would have also worked. If all else fails, they have a form you can take to a range and have a RO sign that you can complete basic firearm tasks.

http://www.odcmp.com

hoosierdaddy

Yet another vote for the Savage 10FP. 175grn SMK will be just the thing for 800 yards to 1000 yards. If you can find an older 10FP without the Accutrigger you may be able to pick it up for about $300 or so then you have a little more for your scope. Sharp Shooter Supply had a nice trigger to replace the older style if you want a better trigger down the road.

There are lots of guy shooting F-class with Savage rifles these days. Nothing wrong with them. Choate makes a decent stock and McMillan is making stocks for Savage so you can upgrade that down the road as well.

Good Shooting!

FirstFreedom

Too bad the Savage 10 doesn't come in .260 rem or 6.5x55. But given the realities, on that budget, I'd grab either a Savage 10 in 7mm-08 or .308, or a Howa 1500, CZ 550, or Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 - easy on the shoulder and the heaviest bullets (162s) have ungodly BCs. Plus you can handload 6.5x55 much hotter than the dumbed-down surplus & factory offerings. Or a Thompson Contender or Encore would come in around that price, wouldn't it - you can get those in about any caliber the heart desires.

Reidman

Encore

I have been looking into the Encore because of the customization possibilities. SSK seems to be the best place for barrel options. I'm left handed and really want a left handed thunmhole stock. I have seen places that custom make them. :eek: $$$! Does anyone like the Encore?

What can you Garand owners out there say about maintinence and ownability. They look a LOT more complicated than an SKS. Are they cheap to shoot? I like the idea of iron sights. Not only does it prove you can shoot, it does away with that $200-300 extra I would have to spend on a scope.

Fat White Boy

For the Garand there is a ton of milsurp .30-06 available. Match grade ammo is obviously going to be more expensive. But if you just want to bang away for fun- plenty of cheap '06 around.

It is more complicated than the SKS and requires more maintenance, but it is far more accurate than the SKS...

30Cal

Does anyone make a scope with enough elevation for 600yds+ for under $600? Otherwise, you'll need to get the elevation out of the base.

I'd look into the Garand. Shoot surplus ammo. They're pretty straight forward to maintain. You mop out the barrel, the chamber, wipe off the bolt face, replace the grease, then put it away. Pull the gas cylinder off once a year and clean it (or after shooting corrosive ammo or if you have to wade through surf to get to your firing range).

You may break or wear out a part on rare occasions (the youngest ones are 40+ years old) but they're cheap to fix. I've got 4 M1s and have had to replace 1 barrel that I shot out and an oprod that wore out.

Plus you get something Savage has never been able to perfect:
BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! **PING!!**
The sights are excellent and the trigger varies from very good to excellent.

A bayonet is optional. It's also well suited for shooting sling supported positions which is another facet of rifle shooting that you should at least become familiar with.

Ty

ocabj

Does anyone make a scope with enough elevation for 600yds+ for under $600? Otherwise, you'll need to get the elevation out of the base.

Any decent scope should.

I use a $150 Bushnell Elite 3200 10x Mildot on a Savage .308 with a 0MOA base. Only 12.5MOA drop from 100 yard zero to 600 yards.

hoosierdaddy

The Bushnell 3200 10X is the only one of the higher power 3200s or 4200 that has decent elevation. The 4200 Elite 8-32 only has 20 or 25 minutes of elevation. Damn shame as the glass is some of the best I've seen. BTW, you should be able to fing a 10X 3200 Tactical Bushnell for between $165 and $180. Great value if you ask me.

Cheers!